Interior Mapping Shader Help

EwanW

Hi!

Am having a problem trying to get my version of an interior mapping shader to work in Houdini. http://www.proun-game.com/Oogst3D/index.php?file=CODING/InteriorMapping/InteriorMapping.txt

The surface takes two inputs position(P) and a direction from camera(I).

It works fine in world position however I would like to translate the geometry so as best to fit my "windows" in different positions/rotations. When I do this at object level the shader sticks to the surface and works fine.

How do I replicate this effect when transforming the geometry at sop level?

Using a rest position instead of the world position works for translation, however, if I rotate the surface it warps. How do I translate my I vector so that it will work as it does at object level?

Any help is much appreciated! I am really lacking in maths knowledge here and would appreciate anyone weighing in with their thoughts.

Files attached Thanks!

post-10822-0-97611300-1386945872_thumb.j

interiorMapping.rar

Edited by EwanW

Amazing thanks very much :)

I think I understand the idea behind it roughly. Was trying to do something similar but in the very wrong way :) Do you have any recommended reading to understand this sort of thing? I can't really get my head around the idea of spaces and matrix transformations.

not really, I just got it slowly by practice, any kind of reading on matrices and spaces was too much for me before, maybe mostly because they try to explain all the equations while I just needed the concepts since Houdini does math for me, now it's much easier

but I would like to find some nice material on this topic as well

Edited by anim

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, vinyvince said:

Did i miss something , or just non compatible with 17.5 or 18?

It still works with Houdini 18.

image.png.a97ec115e40f94f9ea134535573b1e69.png

Make sure to download and extract the rar-file from the initial post. Next dive inside the interiormapping2 shop node and set the color map node to the Atlas01.jpg from the extracted folder.