Poly modeling trouble

ResidnT

Hello forum. I have a question for you folks. I have been modeling a stylised tree and everything is going as planned. But where things get wierd is when I save the file and load it back up, things start to go crazy. Some times the model is all blown up and other times most of the polysplits all have red flags saying that no geometry is available. HAs any one encountered this. Now if I save out the geometry then all is well. But then I lose all of my control.

Thanks

Residnt

oooh boy... this is going to take a while...

Appearantly, I think you might have accidentally blasted something in your previous node that caused a red flag starting from one of your polysplit node...

you may have to restart from there again if you can find the previous node that you blasted something.

Basically speaking, once you do Edit SOP or Polysplit SOP, you should not go back to a previous node to apply a Blast SOP and such...

Ok so now I have geometry present but that still doesn't explain somethings. The model that I saved out is in the other object called saved geo and that is what it looked like before it was all closed down. But after removing the recomended sops the model is all blown out and doesn't look like the other model. And I haven't been going up the chain and adding things, I have been working in a very linear manner. So I am really not too sure what is going on here, and it's pretty frustrating when this stuff happens. :angry: but I'll keep at it I should be use to this stuff by now been using it for a long time just my modeling skills aren't what they once were. If there ever was any :D .

Thanks

Residnt

Well... It's going to be extremely difficult for me to tell you what mistake in your working process may be unless I can physically see how you work. There are many other factors involved in what may be going wrong just as you would in other packages. Here, chances are, when you perform certain editing operation that requires you to keep your point number to be exactly the same through out, you would have to make sure that this particular point number don't change before this particular editing operation.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi ResidnT,

Have you possibly been going from one platform to another? For example, have you been modelling some in Windows and some in Linux? It is possible that there may be a bug that causes a SOP to behave differently on different platforms. Just a guess, but I've seen it before. Hope that helps.

Ok one last update. I've now figured out that is going on. While I'm modeling polyextrude is playing games with me. If I turn on the prim normalswhile i'm extruding and using global translations, sometimes polygons are formed where they should not be. So I put in a blast sop to get rid of them. Now if I work for say 10 minutes or so, so my model is farther along, and save it and reload it in, the model is all blown up. But if I go back in the chain and remove that blast sop the form is the same as I saved it. So I don't know what going on I'm just glad I now know exactly where to look the next time this pops up.

Thanks again for all the help

Residnt

Hi ResidnT,

Thanks for letting us know. Hmmm... is this something you can reproduce easily? Do the extra polygons get created on the sides? PolyExtrude uses a tolerance to determine if it should remove hidden sides (there's also an option to force it to always create the sides). Are those the extra polygons that are being created sometimes?

hi ResidnT

Can you duplicate this problem on something simple like a box. And does this happen with every extrude or only after a you have done a few.

And when you say - that this happens when you have turned on the primitive normals, is this because of the selection process. As in you may have selected primitives you didn't intend to and didn't realise but only after they have been extruded.

.....have you checked your options tab?

Hello again all. I really can't pin point this promblem just yet. All that I know is that this starts to happen after a bit of work. If you've downloaded the file you can see that the object was based off of a tube that was rather large and not at the world orgin. I don't know if this has something to do with it. As for the primitive normals thing. I'm not thinking that this is the problem all I was stating was that I turned them on to see the normals. So what was being done was taking a row of polys and extruding them out with global translations and it looked like polys were being created only between 2 faces which I can't remember if I did a polysplit on them or not. Sorry I'm being any clearer on this subject since I did it a few days ago and I really can't remember.

Thanks again for all your help and intrest.

Residnt

strange problem you have :)

might want to get the model to work, and save out a .geo file, bring it in via file sop, then work from there. also, while modeling in houdini, its sometimes necessary to lock nodes.

good luck

Mike C.