Shattering an animated object in houdini 14

swapnilJadhav

hi guys,

I've been working on a shot of my own where a aircraft crashes on the Ground ( reference - airplane crashing scene from KNOWING) . I am aware of the prefracturing process of vornoi and till now I usually worked on static objects so this one is already animated in maya. I got the plain obj seq in Houdini just figuring out how to shatter while the animation still goes on. Found a very less articles about it . Have a very faint idea that its something related to dynamic constraints! can anyone enlighten me about it or any tutorial link for it?

Thanks already!

hi guys,

I've been working on a shot of my own where a aircraft crashes on the Ground ( reference - airplane crashing scene from KNOWING) . I am aware of the prefracturing process of vornoi and till now I usually worked on static objects so this one is already animated in maya. I got the plain obj seq in Houdini just figuring out how to shatter while the animation still goes on. Found a very less articles about it . Have a very faint idea that its something related to dynamic constraints! can anyone enlighten me about it or any tutorial link for it?

Thanks already!

There is a really good fxphd tutorial about this called Dynamic Rigging by Jens Martensson

Howdy,

As long as the geometry point count is consistent and the geo isn't deforming you can create a restp attribute and a deformp attribute and then do all of your shattering at the restp and then move the shattered geo back to the deformp.

Try this:

hold the first frame of your obj and create an attribute, a vector usually called restp, of the first frame position ($TX, $TY, $TZ).

attributecopy the restp back to the animating geo.

Create another vector attribute on the animating geo called deformp. ($TX, $TY, $TZ)

Use an attribute vop dive in and put down a bind, with restp as your vector attribute and plug that into the position output.

Now do all of your wacky fracturing.

Then put another attribute vop after that with vector deformp in the bind.

The fractured geo will interpolate the deformp correctly for the new geo.

Let me know if that helps.