Custom ROP project

MG

I was thinking, I'd love to write a custom ROP. Say, for WinOSi. (I don't have much experience with the HDK yet).

• Where should I start? With what and how?
  • What do I need? (Tools, compilers, libraries etc.)
  • What are good resources?
  • Does anyone here have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

I was thinking, I'd love to write a custom ROP. Say, for WinOSi. (I don't have much experience with the HDK yet).
  • Where should I start? With what and how?
  • What do I need? (Tools, compilers, libraries etc.)
  • What are good resources?
  • Does anyone here have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

14357[/snapback]

Hi

I am considering writing a ROP as well for my custom mini renderer. A good place to get started is the HDK documentation. If you are developing for win32 then you need the Microsoft compiler (there is a free version somewhere on the ms site I think). I don't know of any resources specific to writing a ROP but I presume you must be a little bit fluent in C++. I think the HDK is pretty well designed so it shouldn't be too hard finding your way around. There are a couple of examples for a custom output operator in the examples section of the toolkit as well. Please post any tips you may come along because I'm also very interested in this :) .

Cheers

You can't use the free version as that won't compile code that links with DLLs.

The wiki is the best place to start I think:

http://www.odforce.net/wiki/index.php/HDKF...yAskedQuestions

14366[/snapback]

Can't link to DLLs?

LOL!

I knew there *had* to be a catch the first time I heard of it... and now I see... "Free and Useless"... eeeexcellent... I'll take a dozen.

:bag:

You can't use the free version as that won't compile code that links with DLLs.

The first time I read that I thought you were talking about the hdk that comes with Houdini Apprentice(don't ask why) and I was just staring at the screen for a whole minute(while I was thinking "Does not compute - Does not compute").

Considering that the free version of the ms compiler doesn't link code with dll's then it's pretty much useless for anything more complicated than a "hello world" prog.I had to know better than that.It's MS after all :) .

WinOSI?

I've come across this one about a year ago when I was searching for a way

to render light dispersion. Rainbow, in particular.

I dunno about now but back than... sheesh! That thing was slower

than a dead turtle!

14566[/snapback]

It's slow, but due to it's infinite progression style rendering method, you could take in-between snapshots and update them with more recent progressions later on. It sure is an amazing renderer, at least to me it is...

Aside that, I just want to try to write my own ROP :D

Does that someone have an internet connection?

:rolleyes:

14612[/snapback]

Can't remember his nick name, but some user of this board who works at CORE had once a korean houdini page online; there were many intresting shaders there, but unfortunally the site was offline when I tried to download them a few weeks ago.

Jens

Can't remember his nick name, but some user of this board who works at CORE had once a korean houdini page online; there were many intresting shaders there, but unfortunally the site was offline when I tried to download them a few weeks ago.

Jens

14613[/snapback]

Nam Ji-Hyun? I used to speak to him in MSN, on a daily basis, until he got a job at C.O.R.E. DP :)

As for the Wiki suggestion, edward, thanks. I'll get into it.