Using $dist attribute in stamping

Lukich

Hi there. I'm raying a point on a grid, having enabled the point distance attribute. However, when I tried to use that attribute to stamp a length of a certain line, Copy sop gave me an error, saying "Undefined variable". What makes the $dist attribute invalid?

Thanks!!!

attributes are a black art as far as I'm concerned. It would be nice to assume that they're available downstream as a variable, but mostly they aren't.

What's best to do in these situations is use the point() expression to grab the dist attribute from your ray SOP. That will more than likely get you what you want.

Cheers

Marc

It's not really a black art. If an operator has local variables, then it's usually listed in the help under the Locals section. Otherwise, if you created (or re-created) an attribute using the AttribCreate SOP, then it creates the special "varmap" detail attributes which allows downstream sops to use attributes as variables. It's very easy to see if you've got them, just middle-click on the node tile. If it has them, you will see the section "Custom Variable Mappings" which shows how a particular attribute is mapped to a variable.

Except that (I'm pretty sure) sometimes when creating an attribute with the attributecreate, it still isn't recognised as a variable by downstream SOPs. I'll try and dig up a file where I was trying to get this to work.

It could, of course, be me doing something wrong :).

Hi there.  I'm raying a point on a grid, having enabled the point distance attribute.  However, when I tried to use that attribute to stamp a length of a certain line, Copy sop gave me an error, saying "Undefined variable".  What makes the $dist attribute invalid?

Thanks!!!

14676[/snapback]

I've attached a file to demo how you can work around this.

In the copy sop you're limited to the local variables listed in the help, but

you can use these get at the ones you want.

eg

point("../ray",$PT,"dist",0)

there's also another geo called "fixing_missingVarMaps" that shows

the problem that Mark was refering to(missing varmap variable)

and how to work around it with attributeCreate.

stampingMissingvar.hip.gz