Explosion

Szymon

Hello folks,

Just wondering about creating explosion and want to know your opinion.

Looky at picture from Apprentice Demo Reel picture:

http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/cd2/p...es/feature1.jpg

and please explain how it was created? Can I create that one with particles and i3d only? Any solution? Can anyone of you post some sample file?

Cheers,

Szymon.

Hello folks,

Just wondering about creating explosion and want to know your opinion.

Looky at picture from Apprentice Demo Reel picture:

http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/cd2/p...es/feature1.jpg

and please explain how it was created? Can I create that one with particles and i3d only? Any solution? Can anyone of you post some sample file?

Cheers,

Szymon.

Err...? You think that the original creator is going to reveal that? :) I am not saying that I wouldn't mind him/her telling it! :) But just saying...

Also, I think there are lots of magnificent ways in creating explosions with Houdini. I could think of a couple myself.

Don't think they would say that... or... maybe... Who knows :)

Anyway, I'm looking for some solution, so any posts and explanations are more than welcome. I think it can be done by particles and i3d (somehow), but is it effective? <_< Can someone post some hip to study?

Cheers in advance.

go for it...ultimately (IMHO), it's more about the underlying Pops system than the actual I3D stuff...

I3D comes in at the last stages when you get to actually render the volume, but to get the explosion to billow out and flow right, you'll need a decent POP sim. that moves nicely....

but don't take my word for it, I'm just guessing...

just my 2c.

So let's talk about sample like this one: 14822_PROPERTY_FILE_final.jpg

It's a Maya explosion type found in german tutorial at http://216.40.198.154/content/mayaforum/14821 . I know how to create it in that software, but let's talk Houdini. For example got every particle job done, beautiful pieces of something are flying around and then what? I want to shade it somehow, but which technique I should use? Can someone explain it step-by-step? I don't think it should be much harder than in Maya? Am I wrong? Please help! :(

So let's talk about sample like this one: 14822_PROPERTY_FILE_final.jpg

It's a Maya explosion type found in german tutorial at http://216.40.198.154/content/mayaforum/14821 . I know how to create it in that software, but let's talk Houdini. For example got every particle job done, beautiful pieces of something are flying around and then what? I want to shade it somehow, but which technique I should use? Can someone explain it step-by-step? I don't think it should be much harder than in Maya? Am I wrong? Please help! :(

I have one question to you Szymon. Are you new to Houdini?

Yeah, I know this tutorial. So, what do you suggest Stemik? I3D is the best?

I dunno!....

But it's sertanly not the only way of doing it in Houdini.

For example, there is a demo scene called "mushroomCloud" which came with Houdini4 and is located in $HD/Projects/explosions/mushroomCloud/.

Definately worth looking in to!

Umm... here's my 2cents:

if you have the time, just try it. I mean, if you just go with what someone else says, you're only going to be copying someone elses steps. And sure, that can get you started, but instead of just waiting for someone to hand you what they think is the best technique, I'd try out a bunch of stuff, untill I got what I liked. I mean, we are talking houdini here, and there's more than one way of doing it. I doubt that there's a BEST way of doing it.

But if you just want a quick way to get some nice volumetrics, I'd try i3d, since that's what they added that for.

Umm... here's my 2cents:

if you have the time, just try it. I mean, if you just go with what someone else says, you're only going to be copying someone elses steps. And sure, that can get you started, but instead of just waiting for someone to hand you what they think is the best technique, I'd try out a bunch of stuff, untill I got what I liked. I mean, we are talking houdini here, and there's more than one way of doing it. I doubt that there's a BEST way of doing it.

But if you just want a quick way to get some nice volumetrics, I'd try i3d, since that's what they added that for.

I think this man is pretty damn right here! :)

yup :) I'm new :D Basictly I use it from around April, but I still feel very new. That's probably why I have some many questions on forum :P

By the way: can someone post that $HD/Projects/explosions/mushroomCloud/ project over ?, because on CD's with Houdini 5 which I bought and then Appretience is much different example material than in Houdini4. Please.

I am really new to houdini.. Just one month but i think that it can be done with i3d with low transparency and particles coming out of a sphere with a low antigravity factor to give it the spread amount it needs.... Also, you must use the sort operator to make the random birth... Just some tips from a newbie.. C ya...

• 1 month later...

Hey y'all

I'm just a houdini apprentice myself but here are a few ideas how you could approach the explosion:

If we look at the example image you posted we can see 2 separate particle systems. One for the beige billowing cloud in the center and one for the trailing particles.

The key to making any effect is to basically break it down into separate manageable components. Don't worry about getting everything in one render pass... it's better to mix them together in post.

So, the flying orange thingies are basically emitters that are flying in an arc. The color changes over the lifespan of the particle as does the radius. Getting more black and bigger as it gets older finally fading out.

So start by making the separate particle systems making up the explosion, once you have the animation nailed down start shading stuff. From what I've seen i3d is awesome... more than enough for this little explosion.

You could also use sprites for the trailing particles... they don't need the depth you can get from i3d and self shadowing.

That's about all I can think of in 2 minutes.

Later,,

SAmi