Particle Bird

art3mis

Not sure which particle tutorials will point you in the exact direction for this effect, but if I were to do it I would look at advecting particles through the velocity field of a smoke sim. 

I've attached a quick, basic setup which should get you going. Lots of improvements can be made to the behaviour of the smoke itself as well as adding further complexity inside the popsim. 

Step 1: Take some animated geo and create a smoke sim from it (I used the billowy smoke shelf tool).

step 2: Create a pop sim from points scattered on the animation.

Step 3: Reference the velocity of the smoke sim inside the popsim to drive the particle motion. 

I've used this basic technique countless times. It's a great little trick to have in your tool box. 

Cheers, 

WD

Ps - Feel free to use my award winning animation ;D 

velocityAdvectParticles.hip

• Like 1

Thanks WoodenDuck, this is a fun one to play around with. I went ahead and kit boxed some detailed wings I found on Blendswap onto that bird. It does help out the sim a bit to have detailed geometry.

Untitled-1.jpg

And you could use a twist (bend) to get some wing twisting, I bet that would create some nice turbulence as well. :)

wings.gif

I just love setting up that kind of auto rigging in Houdini, like having an animated wing drive a deformer, it's so easy to set up, And here's some great reference to... 

Edited by Farmfield
  • Like 1