Houdini only using 1 CPU instead of 2?? HELP!

felix_eugene

Hi guys, I got some problem here.

I'm using houdini FX 15.5

My spec:

DUAL xeon e5-2698v4. 40 core/80 threads

RAM 64GB ECC

The problem is when I do caching or Mantra Rendering, Houdini only using 40 threads, means half of the total threads available. I suspect that Houdini does not using any of the core in the Second Xeon CPU. This is very sad, do you guys know what causing this? any solution perhaps?

Thanks in advance :)

6 minutes ago, lukeiamyourfather said:

What version of Windows are you using?

EDIT: Never mind. Holy crap, why does Windows do that? If you have questions as you go about trying Linux feel free to ask here.

Hi, I'm using Win 10 64bit, I tried Win 7 64bit and win 8 64bit the all are the same. I tried to use Ubuntu 16 but it only shows 59 cores instead of 80 cores and Linux is too hard for me too use :(

2 minutes ago, felix_eugene said:

Hi, I'm using Win 10 64bit, I tried Win 7 64bit and win 8 64bit the all are the same. I tried to use Ubuntu 16 but it only shows 59 cores instead of 80 cores and Linux is too hard for me too use :(

You're using the professional versions, right? The home versions are limited to a single processor socket. While it still might be limited to 64 logical cores that's better than 40 logical cores.

1 minute ago, lukeiamyourfather said:

You're using the professional versions, right? The home versions are limited to a single processor socket. While it still might be limited to 64 logical cores that's better than 40 logical cores.

Yes Professional version. The same thing happened with Renderman and Mantra. Also Renderman in Maya too

Just now, lukeiamyourfather said:

Looks like the bug in Ubuntu is just a reporting bug. Have you tried actually rendering something in Ubuntu?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-control-center/+bug/1545955

I can't even install Houdini in Ubuntu LOL. I have never installing a program using a terminal and I'm lost completely....

So I think I will just stick windows and turn off the Hyperthreading. I got a clock speed improvement from 1.5 GHz to 2.2 Ghz, not bad but I lose the core amount if Houdini use the second processor group.

Oh I also noticed that cooking in houdini is very slow? Is that because all cooking operation even in DOP or VOP are singlethreaded?

Some tasks in Houdini use a single thread. Change the power settings in Windows to not throttle. Ever.

If you decide to try Linux again it's pretty straightforward to install Houdini. I cover it in a video on cmiVFX (shameless self plug).

https://cmivfx.com/store/480-Linux+For+VFX+And+CG+Production+Environments

1 minute ago, lukeiamyourfather said:

Some tasks in Houdini use a single thread. Change the power settings in Windows to not throttle. Ever.

If you decide to try Linux again it's pretty straightforward to install Houdini. I cover it in a video on cmiVFX (shameless self plug).

https://cmivfx.com/store/480-Linux+For+VFX+And+CG+Production+Environments

Wow! I will definitely check this tutorial out!