Effectors for Groups?

asche

Hello ... for a project i need thos very hip effectors like in Cinema or now in Maya Mash

But i want to deform many indivdual objects, not many copies/clones, therefore no stamping... so for example you have a scene layout with many small different objects (from maya) and i want a "wave" to go through the scene, deforming the individual objects (or groups in an obj), scaling them, randomly rotating and so on

can anyone explain how to do that effect

(watched the videos about effectors from Rohan Dalvi already but i am missing some basic houdini knowledge)

This is not technically required strictly speaking, but practically speaking, you need to merge them all into a single object, what can be achieved with ObjectMergeSOP and some fancy wildcards. It's ridiculously simple to merge even thousands of object from FBX file in Houdini, putting them into own groups etc. After that you can apply any number of deformations you want with a single stream of nodes.

Alternatively nothing can stop you from making the same deformations per object (altered with opdigit() expression for example). That would require some scripting if the number is big though. You could post example scene file for inspection. 

You can still use Copy/Stamp to leverage Rohan's Mograph techniques. You don't have to use only a single object as the source copy, you can randomly pick from a variety by stamping the switch index as well. And not just shapes, you can use full Object merges from complex SOP networks as sources.

Untitled-1.jpg

ap_copy_stamp_rnd_shape_choice.hiplc

Edited by Atom

I think I've misread you question. If you know how to get them into a single object and want to process geometry per group, all depends of what kind of deformation you want. The easiest way is to use Foreach loop, but possibly slow.

hmmm thats what i am wondering : what is a good way to artistically controll such things ... e.g. 1000 objects in a row, i want to controll the scale with a spline ramp that runs through the objects like a wave...

thanks for the help :)

a colleague managed to make this effect for me now ... so, i want to pin this information :)

file (obj)

name (name from group , mask *)

pack (attribute "name")

primitivevop (ramp in Cd)

primtiive (scale with @Cd.r)