Some Questions

lanchka

Okay, here goes.....

Till date I have been exploring houdini and have found some stuff that I cant get around

1)How do you create a polygon sphere made of quads instead of triangles?

there must be some way but I have been using the convert sop with a nurbs sphere.

2)okay can the fractal sop take in quads(polygons) and output the same insread of tris?(again i end up using the convert sop from a mesh.)

3)what are the pros and cons of polygon and mesh with respect to each other?

(i find that subd works only with polys....)

(And for other subd modellers ,hope u try out MODO evaluation from luxology,Yumm, Really good stuff..........)

Cheers

Lanchka

there must be some way but I have been using the convert sop with a nurbs sphere.

17555[/snapback]

Try creating a mesh sphere and then using the convert sop to change it to polys. Same sort of thing as going from NURBs but that is the way to do it.

2)okay can the fractal sop take in quads(polygons) and output the same insread of tris?(again i end up using the convert sop from a mesh.)

17555[/snapback]

No, but the VEX mountain will do something similiar it just doesn't divide up your mesh so you need more points to start with.

3)what are the pros and cons of polygon and mesh with respect to each other?

17555[/snapback]

Big subject but basically because meshes are ordered rows and columns you can easily apply uv coordinates to them and change to and from NURBs surfaces. Those are the main benifits I think. Once you start using polys you have to look at subdividing to add smoothness at render time. With a mesh you can convert to NURBS.

Meshes are also good for using as the basis for poly surfaces, a lot of the NURBs tools work with them and so do the poly tools. Best of both worlds.

17555[/snapback]

Put down a cube and subdivide? I prefer this methode 'cause it gives better poles than the other method. Well... better for me anyway.

M

...keeping in mind that the bricker option in the divide SOP will create divisions within the interior of a three dimensional object, and not just on the surface.

17723[/snapback]

How do you mean in the interior? It only builds polys on the surface unless they've changed it recently.

How do you mean in the interior? It only builds polys on the surface unless they've changed it recently.

17730[/snapback]

Uhhh, yeah, I don't know what I was thinking of...just ignore me. :blush: