houdini to maya alembic workflow

APG

hi,secondary broken geometry through the abc to maya no uv.

Many days can not find the reason.

please help me.

The first broken,normal.

1.png

2.png

The second break.not uv.

3.png

4.png

Fbx will appear triangles.

The obj sequence has no path information.

Abc is not very stable.

What should i do?

Hi, this is not an answer, just an idea :) maybe you should try another app to open alembic cache and see what you get, I checked blender latest version and they support alembic/fbx/obj, so maybe try in blender and check the results... Good luck :) 

Hi,

I've run into the same problem. There are a couple of ways you can approach this. Not very good ways, but since noone smarter has replied yet, here it goes.

Try using Clean with these settings before export:

U9Pnn7Zz8Gqy-bamM1V-sAf_gW0csIaOOMUHslyRflpWQRVJFui1L4wjufIv3efZyAdjcNjGEAMA_z5vyTbvz-ImSGpfmIEaqN2js6gBMUh0hQls3FMCxqr2Jk-aq6DyfueIs1gZ

ROP Alembic settings:

• Partition by name (Use shape component of Path Attribute Value)

• Face sets: No Face Sets (or UVs will get broken)

If this doesn't help, and you have 3ds Max 2017, it should work there out of the box. Then you can export an Alembic from Max to Maya.

Alternatively, if you have Vray for Maya, in some tutorial someone suggested importing Alembics to Maya through Create -> Vray -> Import Proxy. Then in Vray Mesh settings switch from Preview to Maya Mesh, change playback to Once ond set playback speed if needed.

If everything else fails, this is the most labourious method, but it kinda works. You can export an OBJ / FBX with UVs from one frame and transfer them in Maya to your animated mesh. You can import normals directly if you promote them to Point (from Vertex) in Houdini.

Edited by jamnique
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016/12/27 at 8:01 PM, jamnique said:

Hi,

I've run into the same problem. There are a couple of ways you can approach this. Not very good ways, but since noone smarter has replied yet, here it goes.

Try using Clean with these settings before export:

U9Pnn7Zz8Gqy-bamM1V-sAf_gW0csIaOOMUHslyRflpWQRVJFui1L4wjufIv3efZyAdjcNjGEAMA_z5vyTbvz-ImSGpfmIEaqN2js6gBMUh0hQls3FMCxqr2Jk-aq6DyfueIs1gZ

ROP Alembic settings:

• Partition by name (Use shape component of Path Attribute Value)

• Face sets: No Face Sets (or UVs will get broken)

If this doesn't help, and you have 3ds Max 2017, it should work there out of the box. Then you can export an Alembic from Max to Maya.

Alternatively, if you have Vray for Maya, in some tutorial someone suggested importing Alembics to Maya through Create -> Vray -> Import Proxy. Then in Vray Mesh settings switch from Preview to Maya Mesh, change playback to Once ond set playback speed if needed.

If everything else fails, this is the most labourious method, but it kinda works. You can export an OBJ / FBX with UVs from one frame and transfer them in Maya to your animated mesh. You can import normals directly if you promote them to Point (from Vertex) in Houdini.

thank you.