Gradually switching between sim and animation

Hans Peter

Hey there,

how would you go about changing the animation/simulation state of e.g. a cloth sim? I tried the pin to animation attribute to release the cloth object from the animation; but bringing it back to follow the animation is harder. it just snaps into place when I put the attribute back to 1 in the sop solver (dops). 

Also does anyone know a way to mix between animations and simulations? Lets say the cloth object is meant to somehow follow the movement of a master object but also should react to some forces. Or in other words: object is moving fast = animation state; object suddenly moves very slow = simulation state; objects moves out of the frame again = smoothly go back to follow an animation.

The pin to animation attribute isn't allowing 0.5 values or so. 

Edited by Heraklit

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/08/2017 at 4:24 AM, anthonymcgrath said:

can you share how ?  I'd like to know how to do this too :)

low-brow version would be BlendSOP or top-shelf is Target Strength in the ClothObjectDOP

On 8/17/2017 at 10:18 PM, marty said:

low-brow version would be BlendSOP or top-shelf is Target Strength in the ClothObjectDOP

thanks for replying - so if i had say a cape on a character and i did a basic anim for my character to govern roughly where it should be... brought that in as alembic.. then i want to make that cape cloth but have some target strength based on the anim - is there a way for me to paint that value onto the mesh and then have that pass through to the simulation results?

I've used a target constraint in fem in the past and that seemed to work - i wonder if the process is similar ?