sweetdude09

Jake's HIPs Don't Lie

Sorry for making this thread and then going silent for a while, a lot has happened over the past few months, including me moving to LA on a whim... But I'm back!!!! I have tons of new files to share, which I'll push out in the coming weeks.

Today I had a couple of hours to play with Houdini before going to an Escape Room (wish me luck), and I had been discussing the Laplace-Beltrami operator with a couple of buddies on discord for a long time, so i thought, why not implement one myself!  After having thought about it for so long it actually didn't involve anything I hadn't already done, or covered in my blogs for that matter (go read them!!!!).

The implementation is based off this paper: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/fall10/cos526/papers/sorkine05.pdf

I did comment the wrangle so hopefully it makes sense. One caveat, is that this version does not include border weighting, so watch out for crazy minimization. For production, just use the attribute blur sop, this is more just me exploring weird math stuff that makes me question my art school degree... 

<3 <3 <3

P.S. there's a little ray tracing demo in there as well, since my roommate wanted to understand normals, and I went a bit too far off the deep end in explaining it to him....

EDIT: Petz has brought up a few issues with this, I will make a revision soon :)

JR_Laplacian_v001.hip

Laplace.png

Edited by sweetdude09
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Uh oh, I'm back.

While putzing around, trying to come up with good ideas for my next blog post (covering discrete operators seems a bit too mathy, so I'm open to suggestions. Maybe building a cloth solver in VEX?), I spent some time revisiting an old idea I've been attempting to solve for the better part of a year, rolling up a curve. That's probably not the best way to describe the effect, so I'll let my below GIF do the talking.

This solution wouldn't have been anywhere close to possible without Stephen Bester (https://vimeo.com/user13305957) for a solid vex foundation of chained rotations, or Julian Johnson's transport frame file (http://julianjohnsonsblog.blogspot.com/2017/).

59d0327bdf478_RollupGif.gif.c274b11ff417fc282222928abe2d66a9.gif

Above you'll see final effect in action. Still not sure how to describe it other than rolling up a curve...

I've attached the final OTL to this post along with the above example HIP! It works over multiple curves as well, so dont be afraid to try crazy stuff with it, it's pretty gosh darn fun! :o If you try it on a vertical line, you might need to change the up direction, or turn off "set up direction."

Maybe it's time to make a Github too...

<3 <3 <3 

JR_CurveRoll.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1