Rendering ocean evaluate + ocean surface shader - no white peaks without foam sim?

gubar

Hi,

been experimenting with this. The peak attribute (which I can visualize, to confirm there is peaking/white tops occuring), I thought, would also contribute the wave peaks at render time. But I'm only seeing green refractive water. I know I can save out a foam sim - but it there no basic white shading at all? I'm using houdini 16.0.738.

I haven't saved, written or cached anything out. I just wondered if it's possible to get white water visible straight off the bat.

Thanks,

Steven

I just opened up h16 - clicked the shelf tool, put in some lights and hit render and I get no foam either. I would suggest baking out the displacement map (if you haven't already) within the ocean preview node, and baking out the ocean foam cache (far right of the ocean network Houdini creates if using off the shelf tools) - which is what it uses within the shader to generate the foam - then I think it all should work :)

(In older versions of Houdini I think if you hadn't baked or cached out displacement or the foam then it would do so at render time providing you a map for that frame but the new Houdini doesn't seem to do that - I could be wrong here but its what ive experienced when using the ocean tools over various versions of Houdini)

Edited by chrisdunham95
  • Thanks 1

You only have to bake the spectra and the ocean shader will get the attributes from it. It's only one frame and the cache is written super fast, don't worry!

If you don't even want to do that just put the render flag on the ocean evaluate and throw an principal shader on it.

I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Thanks you for your replies. I've been experimenting a bit more, and like you say dpap, baking the ocean spectra does indeed result in the white caps appearing.

I have only tested on a single frame just now - I assume for a sequence, I would have to cache out every frame, otherwise it would not know where the peaks and troughs are - or have I misunderstood? Your post suggests you only need one frame (which of course would be great!).

thank you,

g

On 11/25/2017 at 12:11 AM, chrisdunham95 said:

I just opened up h16 - clicked the shelf tool, put in some lights and hit render and I get no foam either. I would suggest baking out the displacement map (if you haven't already) within the ocean preview node, and baking out the ocean foam cache (far right of the ocean network Houdini creates if using off the shelf tools) - which is what it uses within the shader to generate the foam - then I think it all should work :)

(In older versions of Houdini I think if you hadn't baked or cached out displacement or the foam then it would do so at render time providing you a map for that frame but the new Houdini doesn't seem to do that - I could be wrong here but its what ive experienced when using the ocean tools over various versions of Houdini)

Hey, i'm also having displacement problems with H16.  What's the purpose of save_spectra if you are going to bake the displacement map with the ocean preview node? And what about the fetch node? Do i source it from the ocean preview displacement node instead of spectra? It's giving me a blank render. 

16 minutes ago, Fox said:

Hey, i'm also having displacement problems with H16.  What's the purpose of save_spectra if you are going to bake the displacement map with the ocean preview node? And what about the fetch node? Do i source it from the ocean preview displacement node instead of spectra? It's giving me a blank render. 

Save spectra I believe saves out the actual geometry of the grid deformed including the deformations in some manner - which is then read into the ocean shader to displace the flat grid - I think this is just two methods for oceans (one with displacement maps directly and one for using geo to displace at render time) - dependant on if you plan on taking the displacement maps elsewhere perhaps? (I could be wrong this is just from what I can see from the shelf tool setup)

The fetch is I think trying to ensure the spectra is baked so that regardless of wether you have saved it or not it will do it for you :) (it should be sourcing by default to the ocean surface/save spectra - node,

On 11/25/2017 at 12:11 AM, chrisdunham95 said:

Edited by Fox

Thanks for your reply. In houdini 16, i still cant seem to "bake" out the displacement maps as the nodes are different from the older version. I've tried all sorts of combinations to bake it out but to no avail. If you check out the other thread i started earlier, maybe you got a tip or two for me? :)

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/32077-houdini-16-no-ocean-render-node-how-to-render-displacement/

2 minutes ago, Fox said:

Thanks for your reply. In houdini 16, i still cant seem to "bake" out the displacement maps as the nodes are different from the older version. I've tried all sorts of combinations to bake it out but to no avail. If you check out the other thread i started earlier, maybe you got a tip or two for me? :)

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/32077-houdini-16-no-ocean-render-node-how-to-render-displacement/

Noworries :)! Can you post your hip file perhaps? should be easier to see whats going on! If not no worries and ill have a think and post a reply on that thread if I can come up with anything

Hey Chris, thanks for your help again! I don't want to derail this thread. Maybe you can reply directly on my thread :)

Anyways, It's just a very simple scene. 

In H16, inside the small Ocean "ocean_surface" geometry node, i simply un-linked the the "grid" geo, and plugged in my mesh.bgeo. I just don't know how to output or save out the displacement map with this version because the nodes are different! :( I had no problems with H15 as i exported it using the "ocean_render" node. It would be awesome if you posted a simple HIP file with the basic settings.

It's been racking my head for more than a week now. Sorry for being a noob :( 

Cheers

Edited by Fox

11 hours ago, Fox said:

Hey Chris, thanks for your help again! I don't want to derail this thread. Maybe you can reply directly on my thread :)

Anyways, It's just a very simple scene. 

In H16, inside the small Ocean "ocean_surface" geometry node, i simply un-linked the the "grid" geo, and plugged in my mesh.bgeo. I just don't know how to output or save out the displacement map with this version because the nodes are different! :( I had no problems with H15 as i exported it using the "ocean_render" node. It would be awesome if you posted a simple HIP file with the basic settings.

It's been racking my head for more than a week now. Sorry for being a noob :( 

Cheers

theres hip files in description

Hi Fox,

I think you can export displacement maps on the ocean evaluate node. On the export to texture tab, select your file and check 'bake all displacements to one layer'. At least I think that's how I'd got it working the other day.

Thanks,

g