Pyro Emit Smoke Problem

evanrudefx

Hi,

I have an explosion, but I cant seem to get the look I want. I want the initial blast to just be transparent fire then as it cools down become smoke. I turned on create dense smoke and adjusted the heat cut off so that smoke is only created once it reaches a certain "coolness". However, that heat cutoff function doesn't seem to work. It always emits smoke, it doesn't seem to wait for the heat to cool down before it creates smoke. As a result, there is wayyy tooo much smoke early on. So much that when you render it the smoke is over powering the fire. What can I do to just have flames then smoke as the fire cools?

Here is a good example: https://vimeo.com/156039861

Thanks

explosion002.hipnc

• 6 months later...

The explosion shelf tool seems to be pretty close to what is shown in that video.

Create a sphere, click the tool then dive into the AutoDopNetwork and change the animation on the SourceVolume to more closely match what you need. Fade it out quickly and you'll see that smoke still remains.

• Confused 1

hmm, my problem is I can't get transparent fire then dense smoke. The smoke seems to overpower the transparent flames. I can either get the fire looking good or the smoke, but not both at the same time. If I get the fire looking good, the smoke is too transparent. If I get the smoke looking good, it covers the fire.

At the risk of stating the obvious, could you keyframe the parameters so that the smoke is transparent during the burn portion of the explosion, and then thickens once the fire burns through the fuel?

22 hours ago, Midphase said:

At the risk of stating the obvious, could you keyframe the parameters so that the smoke is transparent during the burn portion of the explosion, and then thickens once the fire burns through the fuel?

That doesn't work for my setup because I have smoke trails in the same pyro container that appear early on.

Edited by ejr32123