Unreal landscape hole

dave_dave

Hi,

I have my heightfield exporting from Houdini into Unreal without any issues, but I can't seem to find any info on how to export the landscape holes.

I can set the hole material, but not the actual hole itself. Does anyone know how, or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Dave

17 hours ago, dave_dave said:

Hi,

I have my heightfield exporting from Houdini into Unreal without any issues, but I can't seem to find any info on how to export the landscape holes.

I can set the hole material, but not the actual hole itself. Does anyone know how, or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Dave

can you expand more on what you mean by landscape holes? (surely actual holes in your terrain should be represented in the heightfield?)

It would be some type of attribute passed out with the mesh/height field that unreal would know to interpret as holes in their height mask. I don't work in Unreal, but it should be possible, whether or not it is off the shelf is another story. Do you know how to put the holes in Unreal's heightfield already? You need to be able to mimic that attribute in unreal, and make sure Houdini pushes that value through. 

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

So the holes are controlled by a visibility layer in Unreal. 

So I took a look through the plugin C++ code and it looks like Houdini will translate the Heightfield data into the height layer and then any other layers will be converted into material layers. It looks like there's nothing currently there that will output the special visibility layer.

I'll keep digging and if I find any more info I'll update this thread for anyone that finds in in the future.