Meshing Small Splashes

chrisdunham95

Helloo,

I'm working on some small splashes etc. For a project. And I'm at a point where eradicating mesh jitter is near impossible at the scale/amount of particles I'm using. The splashes are small and need a more chunky look, so I cant just up the resolution particles wise and hope that it meshes better as this completely changes the look. (The look I'm after isn't super high res realistic splashes at all as this is for a texture going into games)

Ive tried meshing manually via VBD from particles instead of the default particle fluid surface - VDB from particle fluids - in combination with other vdb operations. Ive also tried point replicating so each point I have is 5 rather than one in the hope it reduces the likelihood of jitter and particles are closer together and theirs a higer count. Ive also tried upto 3 substeps in the base sim in the hope it maybe has more particles between one another.

It seems almost silly when I've had the simulation as I've wanted very quickly but cannot get a small splash mesh without jitter. (Even tried motion blur to ease the effect but needs to be very strong to work and then smears the render more than getting rid of jitter)

Any tips or ideas on the matter would be great :)

(if I happen to solve it in the meantime ill post a file or at least a good description of how I got their eventually)

- I have a feeling it may come down to trying every value possible in the particle fluid surface node or even animating certain parameters in their

Edited by chrisdunham95

It's difficult to offer suggestions without any real context for scale, motion, settings, etc.  but meshing is an issue that's come up on the forums more than once so it's definitely worth searching the forum for related posts that might help.

In the meantime, if you have an example setup with lightweight isolated cache frame/sequence you can upload, that would better allow people to offer tweaks and suggestions

12 hours ago, ryew said:

It's difficult to offer suggestions without any real context for scale, motion, settings, etc.  but meshing is an issue that's come up on the forums more than once so it's definitely worth searching the forum for related posts that might help.

In the meantime, if you have an example setup with lightweight isolated cache frame/sequence you can upload, that would better allow people to offer tweaks and suggestions

Yeah I did have a look before creating the thread but thought perhaps newer versions of Houdini may have led people to finding a way round it! I would do but cant share certain files due to project restrictions, but in future I will do thankyou!

10 hours ago, martinkindl83 said:

also dont be scared to scale it up, i ended scaling stuff in houdini several time as it doesnt work very good on small scale (like droplet scale), i ended up scaling it 10-100x sim, mesh and then scale it down

Ahhhh that is something I hadn't thought off, nice simple possible solution thanks martin!