Madjestic

MADjestic

Hi there,

I guess the time has come to crawl out from under my stone. I've just finished a couple of shots for a demoreel, and, since it's becoming to look more and more consistent, decided to apply myself for a potential position of vfx td (probably a Junior TD, since I know how marvelous are many of you guys, out there :) ). You can see my portfolio HERE, or you can directly download the 'demoreel' HERE (~32Mb, divX).

Currently I am planning to seek a place, where I can work on some shots with volumetric effects - to include them into my demo later (X-plsions, dust'n'debris, smokes, etc).

Nevertheless, in case you think that my skills roughly suffice your company's needs or you can see a potential in my skills (I am only 1.5 years in production and my brains are still flexible), don't doubt to contact me. Or maybe you've got an idea where I could apply with what I have got atm.

Thank you for your attention,

potentially yours,

Vladimir Lopatin (madjestic).

hey man...good work!

just some crits >

I'm not sure what it is but the compression on the mov is really bad...it makes things very difficult to see - esp the grass, fire and fine particle work - I bet it's fine on VHS or DVD...but the web version is very muddy

don't bother showing actual code or the papers that you worked from in your reel...no one cares, and the time can be better used to show your work :)

you shouldn't mention H9...

put your contact info at the end...that's the most important thing you want to leave the view with.

otherwise very good stuff....show a good range of skills

good luck

:)

Hey, arctor =)

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I was aware of the poor compression quality... hmm... One of my colleagues has advised me to try TMPGEnc Pro codec - it uses a sequence and an audio file to wrap everything up into a good quality and compact file... sounds like magic. I'll give it a try. What would you suggest to compress a 3 minute PAL movie?

Concerning the papers in the movie. Actually I thought they could set more weight on the seriousness of the RnD part... =) maybe I was wrong. Ok - I could really use the space they take up better, in the near future.

Btw, speaking of the contents of the movie - do you think that it would be a right thing to add some more _crash'n'burn'n'dust_everywhere_ effects to leverage the demoreel? Or maybe I can go already and try knocking into some doors?

Thanks

[EDIT]I've recompressed the reel, using Windows Media 9 codec, 21Mb, the quality is definetly better now.

I've recompressed the reel, using Windows Media 9 codec, 21Mb, the quality is definetly better now.

You can try some MP4 or H264 compression, which is more universal than WM9. Use SUPER for that.

I agree with arctor's observation about the text. Otherwise, the reel shows very nice skills.

Dragos

Very nice work, I would cut the fire part entirely, it has a look of being unfinished, if you want to keep it, fill the scene with an enviroment, maybe burn your tree in the begining. You keep it moving throughout the piece nicely, I really like the part where it looks like you are video taping yourself working in Houdini, Consider using that as your intro, transitioning from WIP to finished piece. Very cool!

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for your comments, I did try to do my best using them.

I've finished a new version of the demoreel and included some compositing shots into it, as well as 5 new vfx shots (including sand, smoke trails, an avalanche...) and re-edited the whole thing. Hope you like it.

http://www.pobedit.org/upload/demo2007june.avi

(~27Mb, divX).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your feedback, folks =)

Ok, sorry for kinda bumping this thread (as if I was some artist desperate for a job or something :rolleyes: ), but anyway - I've recompiled the reel into a more linux-friendly format (divX avi), so that those of us on linux-only could see it as well. Had to significantly comress the music to keep the file size down, so if you you think it sounds horrible now, please tell me so.

And yes, I've corrected that 'g' in Armstron(g), thanks, edward =)

http://www.pobedit.org/upload/demo2007june.avi

(~32Mb, divX).