charactor behaviour

cs00bren

hello there.

i'm trying to create a battle scene with foot soldiers. i was wondering if anyone could give me some information to geet me started or know any good sites with information.

i guess you have particle system with the soldiers instanced to them and use a chop network with boolean switches to change between predefined animation cycles. but i don't really know where to start any help would be good.

Cheers bren.

http://cade.scope.edu/courseware/notes/hou...dini/index.html

this would definetly be a good place to start. Also, I believe sesi has a skeleton crowd file somewhere....

I'd probalby also look for some papers online on crowd behavior. I've seen some really nice stuff....

http://www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/Unaligned.html

this site seems to have some really cool stuff on it.

You could probably also check out some books on computer gaming.

Hope that helps!

Jens

The scene is a very fine example (praise the admin, praise the admin :P) . No really, from the time i looked at it I thought it was a bit shocking at first for non houidiers. I spent a good while playing with the rayed path and the metaballs (a force field if i remember well), etc.

And zombies... much better than the omnipresent School-O-Fish too

haha... yeah well. The whole story is that I built it for a demo for SIGGRAPH. Meaning that only the person driving the demo needed to know how it worked. So I kindly explained it to them and then proceeded to forget about it.

Approximately one year later (much to my surprise) I saw it included on the apprentice cd. Personally I wouldn't have put it there.... but there you go :).

At the very least I would've cleaned it up a bit and commented it nicely to try and give some direction to the poor noob who tried to use it :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, no ones complained so far (that I know of anyway)

l8r

Marc

ah, if only it were that easy..... sigh..... ...

You know, its like I always say : Its best to let dead dogs lie.... er... or is that sleeping? hmmm, never can remember which.

Well either way, you'd better not mess about with them, things could get messy.

Marc

Contains real cheese admin

• 1 month later...

Marc - I've been looking at you crowd simulation and i understand the switch SOP part of the simulation and can get my own SOP stuff looking good but it's the pop's network that's the problem at the moment. i have three custom attribute's that i create there are dead, fight and shot.

i have to particle system one for army A and the second for army B. i want them to interact. i want them to march to each other then fight/ shot each other then die.

So the first question how can i get the two particlew system to interacteve. the second is the way that i want them to interact is then they get a certain distance apart i want the asttribute fight to change to 1. ubt only for the particles that are close to each other. i also want the particles to rotate to the nearest oppositte arm. tehn i want the other particle(Soldier) to die set teh attribute dead to 1 for just that particle.

i think i need to use the ID for each particle but i tryed to get a pop net to work and i just started to get lost. any help would be good.

sorry for th elong message bren.

hey there...

rereading your post, it seems that you're trying to do a highly complex simulation. And I'm not entirely sure that Houdini's particles can handle that kind of behaviour out of the box.

All the examples I've heard of with complex behavioral systems have had some sort of coding attached to them.

The demo that I built is fine for what it is, but it definitely won't cope with much more :) (in fact, try tweaking some parameters and you'll see it all goes to pot very quickly).

um.... anyone else have any advice?

marc