OBJECT & SOP level subdivisions

betty

hi all

just doing some test with rendering subdivision surfaces and am a little confused.

here is an image with the OBJECT render tab "geometry - polygons as subdivision surfaces"

lots of noise around the eye and i can't find any info on parameter details in the documentation.

post-15-1043766489.jpg

here is exactly the same parameters other than the fact i am now using the subdivisionSOP with 'depth' set to 3.

notice the huge difference!! completely different, surface detail. don't understand why!?

anybody have any experience with this?

thanks

post-15-1043766802.jpg

Hi Betty

I could take a look at it if you like. I have a fair amount of experience with subd rendering in mantra. Its very picky about the geometry it can take, so if theres something slightly wrong then it won't render correctly.

pm me if you don't want to post it to the general list :)

Cheers

Marc

It's not that it's really picky. Just make sure you use very little triangles. That's a general sub-divisions rule.

Also, I recommend you setting up a Subdivision SOP at like 3. And only activate the "Render flag". That way, you won't need to use the nasty "render polygons as sub-divisions"-function.

hmm... I try not to use triangles at all. Subdivision handles quads much more predictably thant tri's.

Also, rendering as subdivision surfaces is a different animal to using the subdivide SOP. They both use the same algorithm (catmull-clark) but doing it at rendertime is a far better thing to do. All the SOP does is use the algorithm to add more geometry and smooth it out. The problem with that is, is that if you zoom in close enough then you will still see the polygon edges.

Whereas the rendering algorithm is adaptive so no matter how close you get to the object it will always be smooth.

Cheers

Marc