Bouncing ball with a twist

I am working on doing a scene similar to Mission to Mars where the lander with the balloons around it drops off the cliff. I'm keeping it much more simple but want to keep the same idea. I'm having a hard time keeping the balls together on impact. I have spring SOPs on the individual balls and I'm guessing they will need nulls or something but just not managing to get the whole thing working together. Anyone have some pointers for me? <_<

Yip, JJ if you're reading this and this is actually for the challenges, then please make a new thread obeying the rules for the title of it.

Thanks

Marc

EDIT :: In fact there already is a thread for JJ_Stanley in the app challenge, so I assume that this is just a discussion thread.....

Yes it was in the 3D Buzz forum as well but no it is not for the challenge. I've made some progress but still don't have it totally figured out. At this point I've settled on doing it with keyframing but I would really like to figure out how to use Houdini's "natural dynamics" or whatever you call them. Basicly let it start rolling and interact with the terrain. Not really sure how much is possible.

I'm actually wrestling with some of the same delimma. when I've used Rigid Body Dynamics, there didn't seem to be a way to get an object to have any 'animated' qualities inherent in the object. This would be things like squash, droop, stretch and ripple. I'm trying to figure a way to do this (I know it's staring me right in the face, but I've been real tied up for the last two weeks and need to re-figure this out). The problem I have with the lattice usage is that things don't react on the face level. The lattice reflects on the face level, but the actual geometry that you want to deform doesn't. I've heard of creating nulls and parenting the object to deform to it, but how to get the object to relate at the face level, I get lost. hmmmmmmm.....