crop the flip surface

wateryfield

HI. guys

I have a fluidtank simulation to build mesh.

The problem is when the flip resolution is much higher,the surface mesh produce too much primitives.

So i want to crop the mesh.

First i create the surface, then i copy it, transform it as a bounding object to create a point group which the first surface bottom point include .

Then delete the group.

It looks like so stupid.

Is it have a variable such as depth to delete the bottom mesh or other better way.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

post-9982-0-39384900-1376570290_thumb.jp

FLIP_mesh.hip

Hmm i use the clip SOP to get nice straight cuts at the edges and to also remove the bottom. Or sometimes i use a bounding box to group the points at the top and blast away the rest. (Might not give you nice straight edges if that is what you need)

So far that is the cleanest method i know. Anyone else have a better method? :)

Hmm i use the clip SOP to get nice straight cuts at the edges and to also remove the bottom. Or sometimes i use a bounding box to group the points at the top and blast away the rest. (Might not give you nice straight edges if that is what you need)

So far that is the cleanest method i know. Anyone else have a better method? :)

Thanks.

I think it also works well.

Hi,

Maybe you can try VDB workflow for clip

i did 3 example

- clip by camera

- clip by box

- clip by box and camera

I think this is fastest solution, because you are doing this on VDB volume.

I hope this help.

Igor

Hi, Igor.

Thanks.

so kind of you!

I think It works a good result.

helpful.

By the way, is it a other way to create the flip mesh which have nice detail too.

Hey Raymond,

I think you will still get the same result since the surface gets created around the points and the boundary of those points is where the SDF is 0.

I posted a file doing something similar which rays the surface on 'itself' in the 0,-1,0 direction. If the ray doesnt hit anything, then delete the face. This way, it will preserve splashes and such on top of the surface.

http://forums.odforc...e-of-the-water/

Edited by SpencerL

When you generate an sdf from geometry that lies along/outside the boundaries of the field it doesn't ignore that geometry in the sweep.

In this case if the sim container is used as collision bounds, the 'surface' value of zero lies outside of the container everywhere except the top.

simsdf.hip