feather

hatrick

hi,

i try to build a dynamic simulation with feathers.

currently i m in the modelprocess with fur and stuck with a few things...

1)how can i controll the orientation of my guidnormals .... for example of 2 opposed faces...

the combtool is not really usable cause the skingeo is very small...

2)i couldnt find a tut ore guide how to setup maps for lenght ore cutshape

hope you can help me out greets

hi,

i try to build a dynamic simulation with feathers.

currently i m in the modelprocess with fur and stuck with a few things...

1)how can i controll the orientation of my guidnormals .... for example of 2 opposed faces...

the combtool is not really usable cause the skingeo is very small...

2)i couldnt find a tut ore guide how to setup maps for lenght ore cutshape

hope you can help me out greets

pic

post-4387-1232543301_thumb.jpg

ok one little step closer ....

a $N+1 in the zvalue - addattribute/direction

i tought hair orientation is generated with primitivenormals ... bit it looks like it comes with pointnormals

so my hairguids are orientated globaly .. How can i set the furdirection value wich default is " $NX, $NY, $NZ to a local value

for example when the Z value is set to $NZ+1 like above the hair orienaints to my normals + 1 to global Z direction....

thx

so my hairguids are orientated globaly .. How can i set the furdirection value wich default is " $NX, $NY, $NZ to a local value

for example when the Z value is set to $NZ+1 like above the hair orienaints to my normals + 1 to global Z direction....

thx

omg :lol:

solved by parenting my curve oject with the fur subnet by the transformed sourcegeo

omg :lol:

solved by parenting my curve oject with the fur subnet by the transformed sourcegeo

now i have the problem with the lenght of the fur...

i d like to have a smooth falloof from the from the middel to the root and the tip of the feather. short - long - short

is this possible with an expression ? i can`t get accurate results with interactive painting...

post-4387-1232560440_thumb.jpg

the final shot should show a kind of timefreeze effect ... combination of realworld footage and CG.

cam dollys slowly through a mapped environmet ... the action is frozen and the campath is getting through a feathercloud with very minimal movement

we will probobly use mapped imageplanes and particles to archive the effect.but some of the feathers should pass by close to the cam so details

and dynamic behavour would be nice (for a few of them).

in another thread i posted some questions about a dustcloud ... flour in our case ... there a similar effect should happen...

overall ... camera - minimal movement

action - frozen

simulation - minimal movement

:) i ll hopefully do the camera for that project and not the CG....don`t really know how the effect will be archived .... they re not working with houdini...

for my part i'm just fascinated by the possibilitys of this software (what i heard and read about) and wanna try to get into...completly new!

so heres my hip file

feathertry.hipnc

that looks good for shaping ... but... are the segments cut by the template curve ... ore is that an orientation setup.

i'm thinking about simulation and the single hairlines should be able to move independently from each other...isn`t that a problem?

another very basic question ... how i can get into simple expressions .. where i can find all the variables wih description...

i know the example files and build in expressions from the helpguide but it`s hard to buildup my own from scratch...

for example what`s $CY, "P" , a.s.o. ....sorry for such noob stuff!

thx

that looks good for shaping ... but... are the segments cut by the template curve ... ore is that an orientation setup.

i'm thinking about simulation and the single hairlines should be able to move independently from each other...isn`t that a problem?

another very basic question ... how i can get into simple expressions .. where i can find all the variables wih description...

i know the example files and build in expressions from the helpguide but it`s hard to buildup my own from scratch...

for example what`s $CY, "P" , a.s.o. ....sorry for such noob stuff!

thx

:lol: sorry guys... forget bout that ... hopefully i`ll find some guidance ....

let`s stay with the feather issue

Curves are fused together with Fuse SOP, if you try to simulate it you will notice that they actually move independently. What you would probably want to do is create point attribute that governs physical properties such as linear/angular damping/constant.