Pixar Announces RenderMan

michael

Isn't this something like the Pixar Image Computer? (But then a more server oriented?)

The Pixar Image Computer was a hardware system with the RenderMan toolkit more or less built in, IIRC.

The new RenderMan Pro Server is the same old [new] Pixar software. I'm guessing they are calling it Pro Server because they are now including the Alfserver with PRMan. (Before it was part of the RenderMan Artist Tools)

So the Toolkit gained the Alfserver and Irma, and got renamed.

This is great news. :D

jim.

it really is good news...I think the only thing stoping many smaller studios from using PRman was the price, not that it's cheap now, but much better...

I'd still like to find out how they allocate lics > 1 per cpu...1 per dual cpu box...?

It used to be per CPU up untill this announcement but I guess it is now a license per prman process executed.

Allowing buckets to be passed to multiple procs now allows prman to run with a single license on a dual proc machine (couldn't you do this before?).

It used to be per CPU up untill this announcement but I guess it is now a license per prman process executed.

Allowing buckets to be passed to multiple procs now allows prman to run with a single license on a dual proc machine (couldn't you do this before?).

From Julian Fong,

The new "tandem" mode works a

lot like [netrender] (with all the pros and cons that this brings to the

table) - so it's one CPU per bucket. There is however significantly

less overhead than netrender. As for licensing, tandem mode consumes

one license per two every 2 cpus on your local machine.

• 1 month later...

From deathfall.com (he went to the renderman user group meeting)

". Also there will be a price drop from $3,500 to $2,000 dollars, then a single license of PRMan will work at the same time with two processors at the same machine. "

kick ass... thats cheap enough to consider buying for home use.

:)

jim.