hda versioning

itriix

i'm just trying to figure out how to get "versioning" on my hdas... i read this in the help:

The otversion HScript command and the equivalent python methods hou.NodeType.version and hou.NodeType.setVersion let you get and set the version number of a digital asset. The “version number” can actually be any text string. You can use a simple incrementing integer like “016” or more point number strings like “1.0.23”.

You must unlock and save changes to the asset to save the version number change.

You may want to maintain a version history in the documentation for the asset, listing the changes made to the asset in each version.

i'm not sure where and how to go about doing this. And is this the common approach to getting versioning? I searched versioning and digital assets in the help file but couldn't find anything else. I swear I saw more about it somewhere one time i was looking through the help files though.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Edited by itriix

in the Operator Type Manager go to the hda that you want to version up. Right click > Save Copy... You can create a new version of the same hda this way

Thanks! When I right click the hda in the operator type manager, i only see: "copy" not Save Copy... is this what you're referring to? And i'm fairly new to "versioning", so assuming, this "copy" command is the correct one to be using, it says: in my example:

Copy Sop/rampSOP operator from /Users/Jonathan/houdini10.0/otls/rampSOP.otl

Operator Name: rampSOP

Operator Label: RampSOP

Save to Library: $HOME/houdini10.0/otls/OPcustom.otl...

I don't want to mess anything up, so before I randomly try something, i thought i'd check with you first. To VERSION it, at this point in time, would i just change the:

OPERATOR NAME to something like: rampSOP.v1

and leave the operator Label the same as before: RampSOP

and would i save it into the rampSOP.otl that I originally saved. Or would I create a NEW .otl? something like, rampSOP.v2.otl? I'm assuming rampSOP.v2.otl because this would OVERWRITE the original im assuming?

Thanks,

Jonathan

*EDIT* i just tried it, i left the operator name and label the same, and just changed the name of the .otl that i was saving it to to rampSOP_v2.otl and that seems to be exactly what i needed. Thanks!!!!!

Edited by itriix

Thanks! When I right click the hda in the operator type manager, i only see: "copy" not Save Copy... is this what you're referring to? And i'm fairly new to "versioning", so assuming, this "copy" command is the correct one to be using, it says: in my example:

Copy Sop/rampSOP operator from /Users/Jonathan/houdini10.0/otls/rampSOP.otl

Operator Name: rampSOP

Operator Label: RampSOP

Save to Library: $HOME/houdini10.0/otls/OPcustom.otl...

I don't want to mess anything up, so before I randomly try something, i thought i'd check with you first. To VERSION it, at this point in time, would i just change the:

OPERATOR NAME to something like: rampSOP.v1

and leave the operator Label the same as before: RampSOP

and would i save it into the rampSOP.otl that I originally saved. Or would I create a NEW .otl? something like, rampSOP.v2.otl? I'm assuming rampSOP.v2.otl because this would OVERWRITE the original im assuming?

Thanks,

Jonathan

*EDIT* i just tried it, i left the operator name and label the same, and just changed the name of the .otl that i was saving it to to rampSOP_v2.otl and that seems to be exactly what i needed. Thanks!!!!!

Best to change it all. Typically we do

Name: myHda_v001

Label: myHda_v001

Save to Library: $HOME/houdini10.0/otls/myHda_v001.otl

The most important one to change is "Save to Library". If you keep that the same as your existing otl, then you will just be overwritting it with the copy. Best to change the label/name so that you know which otl you are sourcing. Hope this helps