shatter objects by an image

haggi

No straightforward way.

You can import your image via the trace sop to create an outline of it and try to fix the edge thresholds to create a 2d plane of your "crack map" and create a 2d grid chunk and process that data to turn it into a shatter object.

Hi haggi, is something like this what you have in mind?

img_guided_cracking.jpg

Cheers,

Saty

PS: What's shown is planar but will work on any mesh.

How would you transform this to a proper mesh with clean cuts/breaks for simulation of some sort? Just curious :) I did some testing with this a while ago (example: Image based fracture test). I didn't get any further because I could not find a good way to create clean cuts on a non-planar polygonal surface (in my test, I would have to dice up the level of detail to insane amounts to get smooth edges). I was also looking into the following workflow: Model -> Proper UVs -> Unwrap the mesh in Houdini based on the UVs -> apply crack pattern -> transform back to object, but I did not get any further back then. I too would like to know if anyone has any good ideas regarding this issue :)

Edited by Ole
  • Like 1

This looks really great Saty!

What I need is a something like the Hoover Dam. I have to break it apart and let the water flow into the valley. Something like in "Evan almighty".

Of course I can break the geometry by hand but I always try to avoid such kind of work ;)

Do you have a shaded image of your breaks without wireframe?

• 4 years later...

Sorry to revive such an old thread.

But I was wondering if anybody out there has a good way of shattering objects via a painted map, using the objects UV's.

The Trace SOP works perfectly fine for flat planes, but if I had quite a curvey complex object that I needed a very
art directed fracture pattern on. How would one go about this? 

I thought about doing some form of pelt mapping ,flattening the geo into the shape of its UV's, fracturing that with a Trace SOP, then warping the geo back to it's original state. But haven't managed to get this working properly.