my new robot rig

ofer

I checked it out super quickly.

I did not found any pole vectors control for the knees orientation, do you have any?

And when I'm moving the body from front to back knees are flipping, probably caused by the no pole vectors.

Cheers, it's cool you posted some rigging stuff thought, there is not enough for my tastes.

no, I dont have controls for the knees. Do you mean twist affectors?

Ill check the flipping issue. I have a hard time working on the legs, because of their shape, and that I wanted them to bend forward. When I tries a 2 bone chain - one from the shoulder to the knee and second from the knee to the foot, they would end up bending back, like a normal leg. So I created a 3-bone chain, breaking the upper bone to 2 bones. That, with some adjustments to the rest angles, kind of gave the result, but I have to constraint one of the upper bones from rotating in X, because I needed the upper bones to maintain their shape.

I guess there is a better way of doing this, or maybe its more a problem in the design of the robot. Next time I'll be aware of that.

I finally started my animation studies, so I hope from now on Ill have more time to invest in Houdini and animation, and post more stuff like that.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I really like your robot rig, but I was wondering if you could help me out. I foolishly took on a project involving a lot of characters that has to be animated in houdini and I have been having trouble making the characters into digital assets. the auto rigger creates an animation rig and a deform rig I also want to include the shop network with my characters shaders in the otl. the toon character appears to be the animation rig as the higher level rig and inside it is where the original geometry node, the deform rig and possibly my shop network could live. however I haven't been able to make this work. the documentation is pretty scarce and only says that you can do this but not how. do you have any ideas. any help would be great. thanks

Cargoyle