clearing the dops cache?

Vormav

Was wondering if anyone could possibly explain to me how DOPs caching is supposed to work.

Right now, I'm doing a simple wire sim (H10.0.465, Linux). I run the sim - takes about a minute, but everything is cached so I get fast playback. I changed one of the physical parms of the wire object, and hit play. The playback was still fast, so clearly it hadn't gotten rid of the cache. So, I opened up the cache manager, and manually cleared out all of the dops caches - and every other cache for good measure - and hit play again. No good; fast playback still because the cache is still there.

I've had this problem many times before, and in the past to get the stupid cache to clear I've had to completely restart Houdini (the cache always seems to hang around even when just reloading the same file in the same session). Which is totally absurd. So the only reliable way I've ever been able to work with DOPs sims has been to run /everything/ through ROPs, always. Once sims reach a certain point of complexity, you have to do that anyway. But for faster, smaller sims, this is not at all an ideal workflow, and I don't think I should have to do that.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious here, or that my understanding of how DOPs should be working is inconsistent with the way the developers think it should be working. Or maybe they've added a "no seriously, really really do delete the freaking cache NOW" button, and I just haven't found it yet?

Any tips for managing DOPs caches? I run into this issue constantly in DOPs, so anything that could help clear it up would be helpful.

Thanks

EDIT:

Also, since clearing out the DOPs cache in the cache manager doesn't actually clear out the DOPs cache, I'm little curious about what I'm actually clearing when I try to clear the DOPs cache in the cache manager...

Edited by Vormav

I only occasionally get this issue, so it seems like something is wrong with the build you are using?

I usually just press the recook button on the dopnet. I don't use the cache manager, does it clear cache from memory? thats where the data is if you are doing small sims ...

I do the same here in the dopnetwork theres a recook button and that works good... I sometimes make a parameter panel copy and pin it so i just have a floating window with the recook button in it. But if im feeling too lazy to do that and dont want to go out of dops to hit the button i usually just create a extra null node at the end of my dop network so i have a node extra that i can press display flag on which resets the cache, or like Jonathan said, just bypass some random node and unbypass again, or change display flag to a random node and back again works too =)