chocolate simulation

imoh3n

Hi.

I upload a footage of chocolate fluid, does anybody have any idea for simulating this fluid in Houdini?

I have tested this on Houdini and real-flow, but my problem is that layers of fluid penetrate each other. which is not similar to the footage.

If you just search for Chocolate on this forum, you'll see someone else has done just the same. However I think they did it with RealFlow, but I don't see why it couldn't be done with Houdini's SPH particle fluids or levelset volume fluids, with the appropriate viscosity.

Have you tried those tools?

I take that back. I tried for an hour to get a slow viscous flow out of a Volume Fluid. I think this may be impossible to achieve.

Perhaps the Particle Fluid flow would be better... and Particle Fluids also support Surface Tension, which don't seem to be supported in Volume Fluids.

If you just search for Chocolate on this forum, you'll see someone else has done just the same. However I think they did it with RealFlow, but I don't see why it couldn't be done with Houdini's SPH particle fluids or levelset volume fluids, with the appropriate viscosity.

Have you tried those tools?

Hi Guys, one month ago i did this test:

Unfortunately, i have no Houdini here at work, but i think that you can try to attach particles fluid on one mesh like a "ribbon" and work with houdini cloth simulation for achieve this result.

Maybe it's only a crazy idea, maybe no... just try :)

Hi Guys, one month ago i did this test:

Unfortunately, i have no Houdini here at work, but i think that you can try to attach particles fluid on one mesh like a "ribbon" and work with houdini cloth simulation for achieve this result.

Maybe it's only a crazy idea, maybe no... just try :)

i think same as you reyan, but i can't simulate a ribbon that behave like this fluid.

i think same as you reyan, but i can't simulate a ribbon that behave like this fluid.

I think that you can animate by hand this kind of effect. You can build your chocolate flow mesh starting from an extruded curve, then you could animate the curve, and all the modelling downstream wil be updated. You can use blendshapes to "direct" your mesh, make some sort of melt effect, but this could be done in many ways. my first idea are blendshapes because the shot is simple and you don't have many mesh to adjust.

in the end, you could scatter many points on the mesh and use the fluid surface sop.

but I think the problem here is that youi want to simulate this effect... <_<

can't you simulate the fluid with particle fluids in houdini, and modify the viscosity and others parameters of the fluid as the chocolate goes down?

for example:

say you find a set of values that produces a good solution for the chocolate that falls down, but when it's time to "deposit" it donesn't work anymore, and produces a bad effect.

And you know that the fluid should have some others setup or parameters values to make it stop and create the shape.

you have to find a way to control how these two setup of values are mixed together. for example by proximity to a custom shape that you could animate. or by looking for the particle velocity. just some ideas... for shure some other people could suggest you some better approach.

bye!

• 1 month later...

I´ve been trying this myself for a week, and I swear there´s no way to make a dense fluid like chocolate with SPH nor with SDF. I tried both ways and you never get the interaction you can see in this video made by a Blender user:

I haven´t tried yet the cloth way, and I just don´t see the blendshapes method working for a shot like the one shown above...

Houdini fluids never seem to have enough viscosity to fold on self-collision in the way that videos shows. It doesn´t matter how much you crank up your viscosity values. :blink:

there's an example of a similar shot done in realflow over on the realflow forum. Do a search for 'honey' and 'highly viscous fluids'.

=ranx

For what´s worth, I´m getting some interesting progress usign Realflow particles and meshing in Houdini.

I still have to fix some stuff and then I will try to post a couple of tests soon.