Houdini > XSI convert?

Szymon

do you mean geometry or a whole scene?

geometry is easy but I don't know of anything that will do a whole scene...exporting rib might work - but how to do that out of XSI is tricky....FBX is another idea - but Houdini doesn't support it right now (ever?)

oppps - you mean Houdini to XSI....I'd try rib and see what happens

• 2 years later...
if it's just geometry I'd go with obj

7118[/snapback]

XSI supports obj sequence export, but isn't too good on the import. You'd have to get some clever monkey to write an importer. What we have here is a whole bunch of blend shapes. It ain't pretty but it kinda works.

The camera information should be easier. There's a script to get XSI cam > Houdini. It should just be a question of reversing what's going on.

Perhaps the COLLADA import/export might work

• 3 months later...

Hey Man,

For Models use OBJ for Effects use Realflow import export tool. You won't believe this but Houdini only has COLLADA Importing and not exporting. I know XSI has both but not this version of Houdini. I am really hoping Houdini 9 has an export really put a damper on our XSI Houdini ZBrush pipeline. I don't know any other tricks on the subject for a while I was trying to figure out how to do mental ray shaders in XSI and import them into Houdini but Houdini's Mantra is just better particularly for ZBrush type of work so you know whatever I gave up on that.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler