crazy flicker in pyro ??

ranxerox

hey all, I've been working on a generic setup for creating mist in scene using the pyro tools. I pretty much have what I want, all except for one thing: I'm getting this crazy flicker in the sim. Please takea look at the attached quicktime and hip file and see what I'm talking about.

any ideas ?

thanks

-ranxx

mist_v23.mov

mist24.hip

I don't know why you're getting that flicker (I haven't looked at the .hip) but perhaps you can defeat it by putting Substeps to 2 in the DOPnetwork parameters?

These oscillation thing happens a lot in POPs (to me) and it's instantly solved by oversampling the simulation.

If I get time, I'll look at your sim later.

Good luck,

Jason

hey all, I've been working on a generic setup for creating mist in scene using the pyro tools. I pretty much have what I want, all except for one thing: I'm getting this crazy flicker in the sim. Please takea look at the attached quicktime and hip file and see what I'm talking about.

any ideas ?

thanks

-ranxx

hi Jason, thanks for your reply. I thought about that, and I put max substeps to 5 on the pyrosolver, but I didn't change the sub steps parameter on the AutoDopNetwork (I'm not sure how that works, does one control the other ? Are they independent ?). Anyway I'm going to resim it with sub steps to 2 on the autodopnetwork simulation tab and max sub steps at 5 on the pyrosolver and see how it goes.

thanks

-ranxx

I don't know why you're getting that flicker (I haven't looked at the .hip) but perhaps you can defeat it by putting Substeps to 2 in the DOPnetwork parameters?

These oscillation thing happens a lot in POPs (to me) and it's instantly solved by oversampling the simulation.

If I get time, I'll look at your sim later.

Good luck,

Jason

ok, to follow up on this, changing the max substeps to 2 in the simulation tab of the AutoDopNetwork node did the trick. I'm still not entirely clear as to why changing the substeps on the pyrosolver did not. I guess I'll have to dig into the docs and see what the difference is.

thanks again.

-ranxx

hi Jason, thanks for your reply. I thought about that, and I put max substeps to 5 on the pyrosolver, but I didn't change the sub steps parameter on the AutoDopNetwork (I'm not sure how that works, does one control the other ? Are they independent ?). Anyway I'm going to resim it with sub steps to 2 on the autodopnetwork simulation tab and max sub steps at 5 on the pyrosolver and see how it goes.

thanks

-ranxx