iconvert In shader

abvfx

Hey there,

I wanted to build a convenience shader that would allow anyone using it to plug a texture in, and you can convert it into a rat file if you wanted.

Is this possible using VOPs? I was thinking the inline code vop? But i dont know the node which allows you to have a button to execute code from another node?

Is this possible?

Thanks.

edit:// or should i just use COP's to lay down a file, and then a ROP file output? It would be great to embed that functionality into a shader to save the user going anywhere.

Edited by phrenzy84

yeah thats the thing. Like most people i convert them before i start a session, because i hate waiting at rendertime, plus i get the feeling its actually longer then if i do at the command line.

So picture a shader with a tab <Texture conversion> plug in your texture, convert and specify a location of just simply put it in the same hip directory would make things more simpler. Plus it allows a bit more spontaneity since you dont always have a specific texture in mind for a job.

Maybe it might be simpler to write a python shelf tool that just opens a dialogue where you navigate to a file and then specify a directory for the rat to be placed in, but to have it in a shader would really be useful.

So picture a shader with a tab <Texture conversion> plug in your texture, convert and specify a location of just simply put it in the same hip directory would make things more simpler. Plus it allows a bit more spontaneity since you dont always have a specific texture in mind for a job.

Take a look inside my prototype_material, I did exactly what you're describing. Its two cop nodes, with a bit of python that will find any textures without a .rat extension in the shader.

michael.. thank you. I checked out the video and that is exactly what i am looking for. The shader itself is pretty amazing, but its baby steps for me at the moment and i will check out that python code. Python is easier to understand off the bat than i first thought, hopefully i wont freak when i see it :).

Thanks for sharing.