caching particles with subframes

ahmed

Hi all,

Is there a way to cache particles to disk with frame subsampling? I am using cached particles for a smoke sim and I need to increase the sub steps for the smoke sim, which doesn't make a different when the info is not in the particles.

Thanks,

Ahmed

Hey Hey

Is this within DOPS or just pops?

if u using the particles in DOPS: make sure your sub-stepping on the dopnet is set to higher than 1, and match that figure on the Popsolver and I would also change it on the pop net the pop solver is pointing to.

if its just pop's, then on your POPNET SOP, theres a substepping parameter,

also when u ROP it out, as a file extension and name padding, instead of using $F or $F4, use $FF to capture substepping :)

hope this helps

brian

• Like 1

Hiya,

Not 100% sure if this will work - but, if you can't do any of the things Brian has suggested, try putting a timeblend SOP after you read the particles back in.

This should work as long as your point count remains the same. (Thanks to Marc for the heads-up!)

Matt.

• Thanks 1

also when u ROP it out, as a file extension and name padding, instead of using $F or $F4, use $FF to capture substepping :)

I'm not sure where it's applicable, but doesn't $SF denote simulation subframe?

eetu.

SF

This value is the simulation frame (or more accurately, the simulation time step number) for which the node is being evaluated.

This value may not be equal to the current Houdini frame number represented by the variable F, depending on the settings of the DOP Network parameters. Instead, this value is equal to the simulation time (ST) divided by the simulation timestep size (TIMESTEP).