folding and unfolding

I guess that it would depend on what you are doing. Either way, I would say that this is going to be something tedious.

You can have a ton of things flipping around to confuse the viewer, and not have to try and make sense of the folds. Like this ident: http://vimeo.com/5482715

I looked at this frame by frame, and it seems that they pre-cut the geometry into individual polygon faces, folded individual faces over one by one and hid them when they were completely folded over. Then the whole thing is played backwards. Then there are booleans for some of the pieces as well. This method would only work for something happening as fast as this spot because you don't get time to make sense of what's happening(unless you watch it frame by frame. ;) ).

For something slower, you might need to look up some origami techniques and do it that way.

I would suggest faking it if it's moving fast enough, that way it will look like a transformer made of paper. :lol:

I was trying to think of a procedural way of doing this, and though it is probably doable... I couldn't figure it out.

I guess that it would depend on what you are doing. Either way, I would say that this is going to be something tedious.

You can have a ton of things flipping around to confuse the viewer, and not have to try and make sense of the folds. Like this ident: http://vimeo.com/5482715

I looked at this frame by frame, and it seems that they pre-cut the geometry into individual polygon faces, folded individual faces over one by one and hid them when they were completely folded over. Then the whole thing is played backwards. Then there are booleans for some of the pieces as well. This method would only work for something happening as fast as this spot because you don't get time to make sense of what's happening(unless you watch it frame by frame. ;) ).

For something slower, you might need to look up some origami techniques and do it that way.

I would suggest faking it if it's moving fast enough, that way it will look like a transformer made of paper. :lol:

I was trying to think of a procedural way of doing this, and though it is probably doable... I couldn't figure it out.

thx for your thoughts .....

in my case i think the animation will be much slower but not that complex .... some details are important here ... may you could help me further with some issues which come up here ...

1)for example folding a simple extruded grid (thickness) without geometry intersection. the only way i figured out is extruding the geometry after the folding process ??

2)another issue is setting up the pivot point for the individual polygroups of the grid... done interactively (select polys and transform in viewport) the pivot is centered on the group. is there an easy way setting the pivot to the edge of the groups ... manual setup is very timeconsuming?

3)i did some testing with the cooky sop. i could not figure out how to avoid some dirty flipping of the mesh while animation. facetting the polys does not give me the results with the edges....

thx!