Movies that make you smile.

Wolfwood

For the sake of taking up OdForce's bandwidth I want to know what movies give you that quirky little after movie smile.

Possible movies that....

... having watched it you now have new found wisdom in which the world works.

.... watch it a million times and it still makes you giggle with delight.

..... made you say huh 14 times on your way to your car after the credits.

jim.

I'll go first. =)

A movie that I can watch daily and still laugh is Shaolin Soccer. It was a big hit in Hong Kong. I heard Disney bought rights to it and was going to show it in the US but never heard anything more.

Anyway. A quicky synopsis.

"Grrr grrrr I'm a poor kung fu doood."

"AH HA, I'm a gimpy soccer coach, you should play soccer with kung fu!"

"YATTA!"

Another movie that makes me giggle (a guyish giggle) is Battle Royale. Oh my this movie is my all time favorite. Everything you'd ever want. Its all about annoying kids killing each other. :)

Synopsis.

Its the future, (next week), and school kids are too unruly. So the japanese government starts up this program. Each year a class of high school kids gets placed on a island. (Like Survivor). Each student gets a bag with some supplies and some sort of item. (Ranging from anything from an Uzi to a Frisbee). Basically the students have 3 days to kill off the other students. (There can be only one.) Now the catch is if more than one survives they all die.

Now I have no idea why I like this movie so much. Its really funny....but it has no jokes. *shrug* I guess I'm amused by the fact that they kill each other off not to survive but because of stupid high school boy & girl grudges.

YOU TALKED TO MY BOYFRIEND! WHACK!

A real version of this will probably air on Fox next year. =P

jim.

Oh another one.

Equilibrium, this would be best classified as...

"The Best Movie That Could Have Been Great but Instead Sucked Thus Making it a Great B-Movie Cult Classic"

The plot doesn't matter.... the only thing that matters is that they have gun fights based on Probability Density Functions. By watching guns fights its possible to predict the most likely trajectories the bullets will go in. Thus by moving to the most unlikely position the odds of being hit drop to 0. Math and gun fights.....can you ask for anything else?

And this is for all you Hulk fans,

http://www.thesun.co.uk//article/0,,2-2003...3310256,00.html

;)

jim.

ah...Shaolin Soccer.... :)

my favorite scene is when Stephen Chow sings to Vicki Zhao in the market...inspiring that weird looking guy to start singing also...puts a smile on my face every time :D

others :

The Tall Guy

Big Trouble in Little China

Equilibrium - it's almost lost in the shadow of the Matrix, but I liked it - the whole Probability Density Functions fighting stuff is awesome - a tiny thread of reality/possibility attached to kick-ass fight scenes.

I've got to reply to this one! I have a movie collection of a shattered taste that make Marc shake his head when he comes over.. and seeing a couple of my favourites being quoted right here on the list fills me with the desire to share!

Shaolin Soccer (I love the translation!)

TRON (Everyone needs 2 copies of this)

Logan's Run (I can watch this every day and smile)

Big Trouble In Little China

Lilo & Stitch (Stich is the GREATEST character of all time)

Dune and 2010 (on the serious side)

Ok - I have a lot more, but these movies are so great I could give up everything else for a week and burn through them over and over.

"More friends of yours Mr. Burton?...now this really pisses me off!".... :lol:

a movie that not many people I know have seen - for some strange reason - is 'Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid'...not only is it LOL funny but the editing/cinematography is really amazing. which reminds me of a Woody Allen movie called 'Zelig' - Cinematography by Gordon Willis and visual effects (all optical) by R/Greenberg Associates, I've never seen anything like it...the use of archiveal footage is 10 years older but 10x better than Forrest Gump.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a movie that, IMO, is perfect...it makes me laugh, cry, sends chills down my spine...great story, acting, FX...everything...

ah...this sucks....all my movies are in Calgary :(

Hmn....

Lilo & Stich is one of my recent favorites. I could probably watch that every day and walk away with a smile, but my constant Stich impersonations would most likely drive everyone nuts :rolleyes:

Battle Royale is a great one too. Just introduced some friends to that one last saturday :D But somehow they all thought it was awful... not sure if they meant the subject matter or the movie itself.:huh:

I'm also a big fan of the Mystery Science Theater version of Mitchell. That's one funny ass movie. It's actually the episode where Joel manages to escape the satelite of love, and Mike takes over. My favorite MST3k short is probably the one on how to give a speach. It's on the Red Zone Cuba DVD, and it's incredibly, gutwrenchingly, funny (Red Zone Cuba on the other hand is gruelingly bad).

Out of recent theatre releases, T3 kicked ass, Nemo was gorgeous, but I'd pick A Mighty Wind as being my favorite. I still listen to the soundtrack almost every day :P

That's all for now,

Cheers!

Jens

Battle Royale is a great one too. Just introduced some friends to that one last saturday :D But somehow they all thought it was awful... not sure if they meant the subject matter or the movie itself.:huh:

Excellent... =)

Its odd... My friends are 50/50 on the movie...half love it the other half hate it.

I think the half that hated it were trying to get meaning out of it.

"It was stupid, it was trying to make a point and it didn't work." is a typical comment.

jim.

ps. My favorite MST3K was actually a little documentry in front of some movie. It was about how a diary farm worked. Something like "Littly Jimmy goes to the Farm". The jokes they made still make me laugh.