Project workflow

Stremik

So I was going to create a little animation. More of a like a cartoon.

About five minutes in length. But I'm allready facing some problems

even tho I haven't even started yet.

The problem is that I've never been involved in any serious project

therefore I have no I idea how to organize the whole thing.

For example, I suspect that it wouldn't be a good idea to break it in to numerous hip files right? Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

I'm up for any kind of constructive advice on how to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Vlad.

well, I dunno... I guess there's different ways to go about it, but this is what I would do:

create storyboards -- This seems like a duh kind of thing, but most people will try to skip this and go right to animating. Once you have your storyboards, you'll know exactly what your shots will look like, what kind of cameras you'll have, and how much of the environment you'll need.

create an animatic -- Make some dinky low rez models for blocking. Take your storyboards and very roughly start blocking each shot. I'd make this super rough... just place a camera, get the basic motion in there, move on. I probably would have different hipfiles for at least every different environment. Render your blocked animation and edit it together. If you have dialogue I'd add a rough track to this right now. Just do all the voices yourself :). If you have your music picked, I'd add this too, cause it'll help with getting your timing right.

Bam! You now have a rough version of your film! Take a good look at this and decide if you want to change anything.

From here one I'd lock down each shot. Unless you feel that several shots should be in one hipfile, it'd probably make it simpler to keep it seperate. You can then work on each shot and slip it into the cut, together with the animatic. Slowly but surely your movie will start being more and more complete, and you'll have a good way of gaging how much work is left to do.

Anyhoo, that's how I'd do it. For something as long as 5 minutes (and that's a loooong time in terms of cg) I'd definetly not just jump in and start going. Take the time to make the animatic. If the film consists of more than one sequence, take each one and edit it as a seperate thing, make it work well, then edit it together with the rest of the film and make sure it flows well.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Jens

jens is actually insane, he cracked during the last project.... his boss's at DD have him chained to a pole in the courtyard...he barks at people as they walk by.. honest!

listen at your own risk!! :D:D:P:P