Updating animated COPs when applied as textures to objects

craiglhoffman

Hi,

I am doing some animated compositing in COPs and want to apply the result of that to objects in my interactive shaded GL view. I have it working via the op: command using a UVQuickshade SOP for testing, but when animating the COPs my Scene (GL) View doesn't update. If I change frames it updates, but I would like to see interactive (or close to interactive) updates.

Is this possible?

Thanks for any help,

Craig Hoffman

The dependency between the 3D viewport and COPs has been broken for a while now (H10 at least). It temporarily worked when texture caching was completely broken and textures reloaded on every access, but no one really wants that back :) I'll see if there is an easy fix for the issue.

I think being able to interactively composite things and apply them to geometry would be a powerful feature that would be quite useful for a lot of things and help set Houdini even farther apart from the competition (although I did something similar to what I was trying to do in COPs in Maya's material editor about 7 years ago). Plus without it, compositing doesn't feel perfectly "integrated" into Houdini as a whole, so I would vote that it be fixed. :)

• 3 years later...

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Houdini 12.5.502: Fixed a bug where COP network changes were not propagated to nodes that referenced the network with "op:".

Guess I was just lucky on my 12.5 Build number then :D

Should update pipe to 13 tomorrow. Seems like a good thing to do before Christmas dinner.