UVEdit query

Hi all,

I want to clarify something about UVEdit that seems like a bug, but being new to this, I'm not sure.

In the UV view, I select and hide some of the UV vertices, so I can UVEdit the vertices I'm interested in. I can't select any of the hidden vertices. This is good.

BUT, if I select one vertex and ramp up the soft radius, it includes the hidden vertices within the soft radius, so that it edits some of the hidden vetices. Is this right or a bug? It certainly doesn't seem to be the behaviour demonstrated in the Texturing Tutorial at Visilab.

Cheers.

Jono

I think that it's not a bug - just a funky thing you need to be aware of when hiding verts....

it doesn't happen in the video because, IIRC, the top and side of the watermellon had different UVProject ops and were in different groups - and it was the groups that were hidden.

it might be a good RFE to 'exclude hidden UVs from soft radius'

HTH

Hi all,

I want to clarify something about UVEdit that seems like a bug, but being new to this, I'm not sure.

In the UV view, I select and hide some of the UV vertices, so I can UVEdit the vertices I'm interested in. I can't select any of the hidden vertices. This is good.

BUT, if I select one vertex and ramp up the soft radius, it includes the hidden vertices within the soft radius, so that it edits some of the hidden vetices. Is this right or a bug? It certainly doesn't seem to be the behaviour demonstrated in the Texturing Tutorial at Visilab.

Cheers.

Jono

didnt check out the video.

soft radius transforms the selected point as well as a surrounding points ..you can change the radius value. if you want to exclude points from being transformed you could group them and ad a transform to the group, or...just delete the points.

Arctor,

I followed the tute exactly, and did another test using two project ops and two groups, and in any case the groups were used just for selecting and hiding, not as an input selection group to the UVEdit. Perhaps this is an artificial example, using two projections onto the one image, but still, it's very counter intuitive. I was just thinking, that if it isn't a bug, then it's not consisten, because it didn't modify the points on the curved part of the watermellon ... I think ... I'll go check that out.

Plan9,

I understand how it works, but it seems very broken to me. If I'm moving things around with the mouse, it should only move the things I can select with the mouse, or warn me there are things selected that are hidden.

Cheers.

Jonathan.

I think it because the soft selection 'grows' you selection...that's why when you select just one point and move it, but then use soft selection, more points are moved - despite not being part of the selection.

I agree that it's a bit counter intuitive...perhaps SESI will take it as an RFE...

it should only move the things I can select with the mouse, or warn me there are things selected that are hidden.

soft transform isnt broken, you are not actually selecting other points.... the *area of effect* can be controlled by using the soft radius parameter. hiding points doesnt mean they will not be effected.