Light Dome Asset

claudio_101

Hey Guy's,

I was experimenting a while ago with HDRI's in HDRShop and tumbled on a plugin MedianCut from Francesco Banterle. This plugin exports a text file with a list of light translate values and color values that correspond to the HDRI image used. The Light Dome asset reads in this text file and generates a dome of pointlights with the corresponding values. This way if you don't need the HDRI reflections you can just use the asset to generate the dome for the lighting of the scene.

I just uploaded the asset to the exchange, so feel free to try it out.

If you come across some bugs or have some improvement suggestions, just let me know.

Cheers

post-4339-128336610571_thumb.png

Edited by claudio_101

Hey Guy's,

I was experimenting a while ago with HDRI's in HDRShop and tumbled on a plugin MedianCut from Francesco Banterle. This plugin exports a text file with a list of light translate values and color values that correspond to the HDRI image used. The Light Dome asset reads in this text file and generates a dome of pointlights with the corresponding values. This way if you don't need the HDRI reflections you can just use the asset to generate the dome for the lighting of the scene.

I just uploaded the asset to the exchange, so feel free to try it out.

If you come across some bugs or have some improvement suggestions, just let me know.

Cheers

here is one called LightGen

Indeed Ben that's another one. I had this discussion on the sidefx forum and like Edward said there, it might be that it is fallen in disuse and I think this too. But correct me if I'm wrong.

The tool still works, my friend Horry used it in his thesis match lighting a photo realistic deer(CG) into a plate, one was maya mr, the other was maya rederman both with shave and hair cut. He was working on that shot in the fall, but I'm sure his pipeline hasn't changed since it took him so long to get it fine tuned. I can't find his demo reel right now to show it(I'm harassing him now), but it still can be used. Our renderman teacher skim over it real quick in class. Whether or not it is widely being used is completely another story.

I would love to see an exported hip file from lightgen Ben. I tried the plugin today but all I got was an export error. <_<

I just got to work today and I'm on a linux machine. You might have to wait a bit...

Have you tried exporting to Maya then bringing it into Houdini? Sometimes going through a third party software clears null data from the export. I use UV Layout to clear out some of the loveliness that houdini puts in when going back into maya.

I just got to work today and I'm on a linux machine. You might have to wait a bit...

Have you tried exporting to Maya then bringing it into Houdini? Sometimes going through a third party software clears null data from the export. I use UV Layout to clear out some of the loveliness that houdini puts in when going back into maya.

I checked the plugin again and it was actually working fine it just took a while to finish, like 40min for 128 light. :)

The hscript import works pretty good. The only thing that bothered me a little bit was that if I wanted to change the dimmer or scale I had to go back to lightgen to export a new script and wait again 40min for the export to finish.

After that I took a look at the txt export from lightgen and it was almost the same as the one from the mediancut plugin.

So I changed the lightdome asset and it now can also readin the lightgen txt file and I also added the scale function. This way you don't have to go back to lightgen to do another export. You'll find a new version on the exchange. Please test it and let me know what you think.

I'm on holiday for a week now.

See you later, Cheers

Edited by claudio_101

Well I'm not behind my working computer, but you just specify the amount of lights and then press "Execute" nothing more nothing less.

It then will create a file called "light.txt" and I think it is saved in the folder above the one of HDRShop. Try and do a search.

I will check it again next week when I'm home and let you know for sure.

I believe this happens automatically when you upload it as a ".otl" file to the exchange. (So don't zip it).

Hey guy's thanks for the feedback, I wasn't aware about the conversion.

I saw that you uploaded the otl separately on the exchange Horizon1231. Thx for that!

how to use mediancut to output a txt file,seems no output ?

btw lightgen has an option to output

I checked it again and on my workstation it outputs the file on a share. Why the heck it happens like that I don't know and can't find any preference pane to change the output path.

The output file is also called lights.txt and NOT light.txt.

• 2 years later...