houdini to max

Hi all

I'm new to houdini I'm learning slowly I intend to use houdini in dynamics simulations use it with 3ds max

i have a problem in exporting fbx ...the meshes isn't smooth like the way it appears in houdini .. its not polygons its Triangles and it seems very hard surface even with turbosmooth 2 levels

is it a proplem from export settings or what ?

post-6167-128918328559_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctor3d

Hi all

I'm new to houdini I'm learning slowly I intend to use houdini in dynamics simulations use it with 3ds max

i have a problem in exporting fbx ...the meshes isn't smooth like the way it appears in houdini .. its not polygons its Triangles and it seems very hard surface even with turbosmooth 2 levels

is it a proplem from export settings or what ?

It's just a normals thing -- try adding a "smooth" modifier and see if that fixes it.

Did you possibly export a geometry without normals or with incorrect ones ?

If this is the case add a facet sop (and check post compute normals) before exporting. Or add a edit normals modifier in max, and reset or unify (I don't remember the exact term).

Then add smooth modifier and chose your smoothing angle (tri or quad it doesn't matter).

Hey :D

I have tried to export as a OBJ from Houdini to Maya and it is working, but if you import it back from Maya and try to export it again, it is not working.

FBX is not working me at all, it comes in Maya as an empty locator.

sorry but am not using 3dmax ;)

Cheers

Did you possibly export a geometry without normals or with incorrect ones ?

If this is the case add a facet sop (and check post compute normals) before exporting. Or add a edit normals modifier in max, and reset or unify (I don't remember the exact term).

Then add smooth modifier and chose your smoothing angle (tri or quad it doesn't matter).

not working

i tried facet node .. same result

I tried normal modifier and problem still the same

and its not normals issue .. I normals issues in max turn completly black

i tried import fbx in softimage xsi and even imported fbx back to houdini the faces are triangles

Hey :D

I have tried to export as a OBJ from Houdini to Maya and it is working, but if you import it back from Maya and try to export it again, it is not working.

FBX is not working me at all, it comes in Maya as an empty locator.

sorry but am not using 3dmax ;)

Cheers

the problem is obj. doesn't carry animation that's the issue

but fbx work with me very well in one frame export

attached 2 fbx exports one current frame and the other is frame range and they are the same settings

post-6167-128935344385_thumb.jpg

with some searches I found some answers

the problem is they programed fbx to act this way the vertex is separated ..isolated from each other in animation export

I applied vertex weld and it worked but so heavy ..I don't know why and its only a drop of water..!

I didn't try the weld option in maya yet.

I found a script load obj seq. to max

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/objloader-v1-4

sorry had to ask this :unsure:

how I export obj seq. animation from houdini I didn't find it in export settings ?

just add ROP output driver, in the output file choose your path and file name + $F to render as a seq.

filename$F.obj

or

filename$F3.obj to add pad number 001 .....

or

$HIPNAME$F3.obj ----> this will give you ... file name (hip file name) + 001 which a very nice tip

hope it helps

:D

have a look at this link :

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/rendering/expressions

Happy Learning :D

Edited by mabulazm

first of all pointcache will not work for you because you probably have different pointcount for each frame

i don't know how fast OBJ sequence import for MAX is but if realflow import plugins for MAX are still free then you should try this