fracture animating object

redpaw

Knowing the way houdini users are, I know there must be some way to pull this off, I just don't know how complicated it could get.

I have a walking figure geo cached.

Is there a way to pipe that animated cache into the fracture system, so that it breaks off

pieces and they turn into RBD's but the main chunk still stays animated?

I'm thinking this may end up being some sort of cyclic nightmare where it may be impossible to plug the result of a fracture back into its own input.

I think it should at least be possible tho to latticeSOP the pre-broken geom as non solving

RBD objects until they "kick off" and then when that happens, turn them into breakable objects so that when they fall and collide, they can sub-crack recursively.

if anybody has some tips as to the workflow I'd have to try out to make this work, that'd be awesome.

thanks in advance

-johnc

redpawFX

• 1 month later...

Did you solve this as I have a similar problem?

unfortunately, not yet, I'm still working on some ideas, but am currently working around the problem.

there are some videos I've seen from Igor Zanic

that sorta does what I want to try to achieve.

Igor? you out there?

-j

I did this recently.

Here's my solution:

1: Bring in your animated point cache.

2: On the first frame break it up geo using whatever method.

3: using PGMVC Capture & Deform Sops deform the fractured piece with the animated mesh.

http://www.fourthwall.ndo.co.uk/HT_HDK.html

4: created centroid point at the now animated chunked.

5: bring chunks into DOPs and use the centroid point colors as cue for when they become dynamic.

(expressions that control the "active" and "use deforming geometry")

If you have not idea what I'm talking about by the above check out:

Now your chunks will only become dynamic when centroid point turn red... lots of control.

Mess with inherited velocity ect...

I'm fairly new to DOPS so would be interested if this is how others would approach this.

In any case works fine..

I can upload the hip file if you like, it's pretty easy :>

unfortunately, not yet, I'm still working on some ideas, but am currently working around the problem.

there are some videos I've seen from Igor Zanic

that sorta does what I want to try to achieve.

Igor? you out there?

-j

If you could upload the hip file that would be brilliant

I did this recently.

Here's my solution:

3: using PGMVC Capture & Deform Sops deform the fractured piece with the animated mesh.

5: bring chunks into DOPs and use the centroid point colors as cue for when they become dynamic.

Now your chunks will only become dynamic when centroid point turn red... lots of control.

I'm fairly new to DOPS so would be interested if this is how others would approach this.

In any case works fine..

here you go...

When the scaling magnet touches the centroid points, the chunks become active.

oh, and I scale the chunk down after it's activated using a sop solver.. optional of course.

Pretty simple, hope it helps!

AWESOME, I knew there had to be a way to do it. :-)

I will begin dissection.... now.

thanks so much

-johnc

• 3 years later...

I did this recently.

Here's my solution:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/12330-rbd-point-object/

In any case works fine..

Hi I'm trying similar setup but I've run into problems.

I cannot figure out how to transfer animation data from original character into fractured one.

I've installed PGMVC assets but I cannot get it working.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Hi,

I´m still finishing a tv open for fox brazil, so I can´t share my entire solution yet.

The hardest part of the open consists in the broken pieces of the statue coming to place, but the statue has deforming geometry and the point (in time) where all the pieces get assembled is not defined ( so I can´t break the geometry in some point in time, but I have to break the T-pose of the statue).

Besides the simulation, that was hardcore to do, the entire setup was done using the asset I´m sending, so will be a great start for you.

About the simulation, I don´t think you can go the packed prim approach, because they have static geometry.

As I did with my sim, you can use a switch solver to switch from a sop solver (matching the animated geometry) to the rbd solver.

move_with_geo.zip

• Like 1

Hi,

I´m still finishing a tv open for fox brazil, so I can´t share my entire solution yet.

The hardest part of the open consists in the broken pieces of the statue coming to place, but the statue has deforming geometry and the point (in time) where all the pieces get assembled is not defined ( so I can´t break the geometry in some point in time, but I have to break the T-pose of the statue).

Besides the simulation, that was hardcore to do, the entire setup was done using the asset I´m sending, so will be a great start for you.

About the simulation, I don´t think you can go the packed prim approach, because they have static geometry.

As I did with my sim, you can use a switch solver to switch from a sop solver (matching the animated geometry) to the rbd solver.

Hi, mega big thanks to you. It works like a charm. There are no glitches I had with lattice and it is fast. Thanks for sharing it's great learning resource.

well, in the project I told I´m working, for the first time I used the script solver, in dops, besides other things. The help documentation and examples helped a lot, but not entirely, so I had to do lots of tests.

It´s just hard working.

In some of my free time, I study. I have a digital tutors and cmivfx subscription (for general topics), but I try to stay up to date with the classes from fxphd. I´m doing one houdini course now (plus 1 lighting and 1 nuke course).

About the asset I shared, most houdini users do stuff in vops/vex, because it´s multi-threaded, that´s why it´s fast. CGSociety has a vex course rolling out now, and I think it´s good.

It´s a mix of tests and study.

I discovered the use of the "xyz distance" vop node in a cmi tutorial, that I was listening while working. Quaternion I learned how to use in the current job. In the end, the tests I did worked and I learned something new! :)