How To Seperate Shadow

Hi,

I am working on a shot which has some render intensive objects, and I want to render a beauty pass along with some extra image planes or passes, as follows:

Diffuse Pass (without shadow)

Specular Pass (without shadow)

Reflection Pass

Shadow Pass

I am using extra image planes for this, but don't know how to get diffuse and spec witout shadow. In one of my tests I wrote a diffuse shader with illuminance loop, which outputs diffuse without shadow. But changing all my shaders for all my objects, is a lot of work. Is there any simpler solution?

Maybe i'm thinking too simple but if you make a take where you just turn all the shadows from all lights to "no shadows"?

And another take with only the shadows.

Might be just as fast, depends on what is making your scene slow to render i think.

Hi,

I am working on a shot which has some render intensive objects, and I want to render a beauty pass along with some extra image planes or passes, as follows:

Diffuse Pass (without shadow)

Specular Pass (without shadow)

Reflection Pass

Shadow Pass

I am using extra image planes for this, but don't know how to get diffuse and spec witout shadow. In one of my tests I wrote a diffuse shader with illuminance loop, which outputs diffuse without shadow. But changing all my shaders for all my objects, is a lot of work. Is there any simpler solution?

Here are some stabs in the dark.

I take it you are using custom export parameters right?

If your shaders are otls from a common library it shouldn't be too much work to update. I hope you do, or they are commonly designed enough for an opcreate script.

Use the direct lighting node to get some of the passes, by default it is built into the mantra surface node, and most things are not named to expected values. Like direct_specular returns nothing, where as direct_reflect returns what is commonly called specular. It is in development since it needs more love so download the latest version of houdini for best results.

Sorry for being confused, but isn't diffuse caused because of shadows? You may be looking for the "paint" or just the plain color maps and colors added up before being multiplied by the diffuse"shadows". Renderman and compositors will call it different things. Look at the H10 shaders they have it designed that way. This is the same concept as occlusion for compositing.

A shadow matte node should get you straight up shadows like for bg plates with out the color. I wouldn't consider it a diffuse though.

Reflection and specular should only be added so they shouldn't have shadow by default, esp output by the nodes respectively.