dops config voroni fracture with interior sticky uvs

redpaw

I've got another bit of weirdness I'm hoping someone can help me with. Attached is a test file I've put together.

What I'm trying to do is auto fracture at sim time with multiple iterations, and have the texture UVs stay "sticky" to the interior surfaces once they are applied.

Ive accomplished this by inserting a UVtexture node right after the inside group creation point in the voroni fracture sop within the rigid body solver OTL.

I tried a bunch of different ways to do this, but this was the most sucessfull except for one issue. It works with native houdini geo, or stuff you completely UV in houdini, but if you

are trying to use an already uv'd OBJ from a file as the input, it seems to need the "uv" parameters explicitly set, like with a point sop

the only way I have found to get the fracture time UV application to work is if i put a point SOP on the object before the dopImport

However, the point sop, (with add texture on) ends up squishing the UV's at the borders and ruining the good uv layout in some cases.

this is illustrated in the test file.

I'm sure there's a way around this.. anyone?

thanks in advance

-johnc

shatteringTexWeirdness.rar

Have you tried the vertex sop instead?

Yes!, actually this afternoon I got back to this problem and after watching a video or two from peter Quint on houdini UV stuff, he showed exactly the same problem I was having, and the solution was to be using vertex uv's, so I gave it a shot and after a little fooling around with the placement

of the nodes again, I got it working now.

so to change the file I submitted earlier I added a vertex sop to the input of the dopImport,

put another vertex sop before the texture sop in the voroni fracture otl, and had to remove the switch sop after the texture I put in since it didn't work anymore.

I was waiting to try it out on my actual non test file before I posted again to see if it fixed it in all cases, but it seems that it has for now.

thanks !

-johnc

• 8 months later...

Hey redpaw,

Do you think you could post your successful file, or provide more detail about where you placed the new vertex sops?

I am trying to texture a dynamically fractured .bgeo / .obj sequence in maya.

Thanks,

Matt

Yes!, actually this afternoon I got back to this problem and after watching a video or two from peter Quint on houdini UV stuff, he showed exactly the same problem I was having, and the solution was to be using vertex uv's, so I gave it a shot and after a little fooling around with the placement

of the nodes again, I got it working now.

so to change the file I submitted earlier I added a vertex sop to the input of the dopImport,

put another vertex sop before the texture sop in the voroni fracture otl, and had to remove the switch sop after the texture I put in since it didn't work anymore.

I was waiting to try it out on my actual non test file before I posted again to see if it fixed it in all cases, but it seems that it has for now.

thanks !

-johnc

• 2 months later...

no solution to share... it still isnt working for me... its almost like you need to bake the texture on a simulation frame...??

Sorry, its been about a half a year since I read this topic..

it may not be a perfect solution, but basically, what I did was inside the solver itself where it

splits and generates the new fracture geometry, it holds the inside/outside groups...

I inserted a uv texture node on the inside section so on creation, it applies the tex coords..

main issue is that the projection is not perfect , there will be some stretching etc..

but if you just need tex coords to be able to map a 2d noise or something it should work pretty well.

I'll have to dive into houdini later and see if I can't export something to share, but this hopefully might put you on the right track.

-redpaw

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...