Jumping Scatter Points

Morbid

Hi everybody,

I have a skinned character and I'm scattering some points onto a certain area of the character.

When I play the animation of the character some points jump to a different place on the area.

I'm using the points for hairs.

- I tried scattering before the deformation of the character

- I tried using a lattice to deform the points with the character

- I tried using the area attribute in the scatter sop

All methods got me the same result but still points are jumping.

Even if I use the Fur sop there are hairs jumping.

Any idea on how to solve the jumping points issue?

Thanks

Hi everybody,

I have a skinned character and I'm scattering some points onto a certain area of the character.

When I play the animation of the character some points jump to a different place on the area.

I'm using the points for hairs.

- I tried scattering before the deformation of the character

- I tried using a lattice to deform the points with the character

- I tried using the area attribute in the scatter sop

All methods got me the same result but still points are jumping.

Even if I use the Fur sop there are hairs jumping.

Any idea on how to solve the jumping points issue?

Thanks

area attribute is the way to go, but you need to measure the area on one frame, use a timeshift and set it to frame 1, and then copy the area attr over using the attrCopy SOP to the animating geo. That way, regardless of how your character is moving, the area will remain constant. In your scatter sop, scatter based on "area" attribute.

Hi,

I've just tried and for me it works fine.

Add scatter after your Deform node and be sure to uncheck "Scatter Based On Primitve Area"

Not working for me. :(

area attribute is the way to go, but you need to measure the area on one frame, use a timeshift and set it to frame 1, and then copy the area attr over using the attrCopy SOP to the animating geo. That way, regardless of how your character is moving, the area will remain constant. In your scatter sop, scatter based on "area" attribute.

Thnx, I forgot the timeshift. Tried it now with timeshift but still there are points jumping.

I've added the file so you can take a look. Play frame 100 to 150, there it is most obvious.

jumping_scatter.rar

Not working for me. :(

Thnx, I forgot the timeshift. Tried it now with timeshift but still there are points jumping.

I've added the file so you can take a look. Play frame 100 to 150, there it is most obvious.

On the scatter sop, turn the attribute bias to 1. The attr bias is how much of the attribute influences the distribution of pts. 0 being no influence, 1 being 100% influence.