getting info of dops to sops

Omy

Hi

Can you tell me how to get the value of mass,speed from dops to sops.I have used the dopfield expression in a attribute create node.is that the way? could you discuss about this more.thank

could any body help me out?

help you with what?

dopfield is the way, do you have any problems using it?

you can also use Dynamics CHOP to extract data from DOPs

for some reason it dint work for me,i tried with the attribcreate and a dopfield with the sim of a simple sphere falling the ground.could you share a file.many thanks

for some reason it dint work for me,i tried with the attribcreate and a dopfield with the sim of a simple sphere falling the ground.could you share a file.many thanks

Why dont you post your .hip so someone can have a look at what you are trying to do and correct what you are doing wrong?

here is the example showing the usage of dopfield()

the data which you can get by dopfield can be seen in Details View for DOP Network

I don't know how you plan to use the data, so i just left it as detail attributes

there is also CHOP network showing the alternative way of importing the data

dop_impactsattributes_example.hipnc

here is the example showing the usage of dopfield()

the data which you can get by dopfield can be seen in Details View for DOP Network

I don't know how you plan to use the data, so i just left it as detail attributes

there is also CHOP network showing the alternative way of importing the data

Hi many thanks.as a beginner i have some doubts?

0)dopfield("../../AutoDopNetwork","sphere_object1", "Impacts", "Impacts", 0, "positionx")

dopfield("../../AutoDopNetwork","sphere_object1", "Position", "Options", 0, "mass")

could you please explain me about the bold words in the above expression

1)do we need a chopnet to extract the info normally from DOPS?

2) and also why ? was used only for mass and not for velocity in one of the node

Im beginning with Houdini and please apologize if my doubts sound stupid

Thanks again! :-)

Edited by Omy

0) If you look at the dops details view it will all become clear

1) no

2) ? is like * except that applies to characters, not multi-character strings. Velocity is a vector, mass a scalar. (Speed would be a scalar too)

ps: anim, didn't know about HUD, great!

Edited by Macha

0) If you look at the dops details view it will all become clear

1) no

2) ? is like * except that applies to characters, not multi-character strings. Velocity is a vector, mass a scalar. (Speed would be a scalar too)

ps: anim, didn't know about HUD, great!

0) i still dint understand the expression

dopfield("../../AutoDopNetwork","sphere_object1", "Impacts", "Impacts", 0, "positionx")____________(1)

dopfield("../../AutoDopNetwork","sphere_object1", "Position", "Options", 0, "mass")____________(2)

In the above expression what are the Impacts,Impacts and Position and Options in (1) and (2)

1) could you tell me any other way to similar example

many thanks

0)

you need to look in Details View as I suggested to you to understand that

just dive into your DOP Network and create new tab on any pane or split viewport pane and change that tab to Details View

Here you can see all the data your of your DOP sim as a tree view

expand it and

under sphere_object1 branch you can see many data like

...Forces, Geometry, Position, Colliders, ...

now scrub through timeline (if already simulated) with Details View open and you can see that on certain frames Impacts data appears in Details View under sphere_object1

if you expand this Impacts data, you can see it contains Basic and Impacts records, click on Impacts and you can see all impacts records data to fill in details view

there may be more than 1 impact on certain frames so each impact has its index, position, normal, impulse and many other data which you can access with dopfield()

according to dopfield() help http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/expressions/dopfield

you need to fill in following

dopfield(dop, objectSpec, subDataName, recordType, recordNum, fieldName)

dop = your dopnet

objectSpec = object in your dopnet (name or index)

subDataName = data you can see in details view uder that object's branch (there are examples on that help page)

recordType = again, further expand subData branch to find which recordTypes are availale for that data (Basic, Options, Impacts, ...)

recordNum = in case of impacts for example this means index of impact, but if data contains only one record, this should be 0

fieldName = and finally the name of certain field in record, so in Impacts you can see "impulse" field so you write "impulse" here.

But if you see that "position" field in Impacts records has the value like [-1,2, 1.23] that means it's vector, then you need to specify which component you want to extract, so you write "positionx" or "positiony"... in the fieldName

so the same principle applies if you want to get mass

look inside Details View

mass field is under "sphere_object1" object, "Position" subData, "Options" recordType, 0 recordNum, "mass" field

so the syntax will be

dopfield("../../AutoDopNetwork","sphere_object1", "Position", "Options", 0, "mass")

now CHOPs are alternative way of getting those info

you need to use Dynamics CHOP and everything else should be clear from that example now that you know how to use Details View

One last thing is Pattern Matching when you are specifying field names in Dynamics CHOP but they are used anywhere in Houdini

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/expressions/_patterns

0)

you need to look in Details View as I suggested to you to understand that

just dive into your DOP Network and create new tab on any pane or split viewport pane and change that tab to Details View

Here you can see all the data your of your DOP sim as a tree view

expand it and

under sphere_object1 branch you can see many data like

...Forces, Geometry, Position, Colliders, ...

now scrub through timeline (if already simulated) with Details View open and you can see that on certain frames Impacts data appears in Details View under sphere_object1

if you expand this Impacts data, you can see it contains Basic and Impacts records, click on Impacts and you can see all impacts records data to fill in details view

there may be more than 1 impact on certain frames so each impact has its index, position, normal, impulse and many other data which you can access with dopfield()

according to dopfield() help http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/expressions/dopfield

you need to fill in following

dopfield(dop, objectSpec, subDataName, recordType, recordNum, fieldName)

dop = your dopnet

objectSpec = object in your dopnet (name or index)

subDataName = data you can see in details view uder that object's branch (there are examples on that help page)

recordType = again, further expand subData branch to find which recordTypes are availale for that data (Basic, Options, Impacts, ...)

recordNum = in case of impacts for example this means index of impact, but if data contains only one record, this should be 0

fieldName = and finally the name of certain field in record, so in Impacts you can see "impulse" field so you write "impulse" here.

But if you see that "position" field in Impacts records has the value like [-1,2, 1.23] that means it's vector, then you need to specify which component you want to extract, so you write "positionx" or "positiony"... in the fieldName

so the same principle applies if you want to get mass

look inside Details View

mass field is under "sphere_object1" object, "Position" subData, "Options" recordType, 0 recordNum, "mass" field

so the syntax will be

now CHOPs are alternative way of getting those info

you need to use Dynamics CHOP and everything else should be clear from that example now that you know how to use Details View

One last thing is Pattern Matching when you are specifying field names in Dynamics CHOP but they are used anywhere in Houdini

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/expressions/_patterns

thanks a ton for your reply.I can understand things clearly after your reply.except sidefx links dint work.I guess its a help link