Water fountain - any advice?

chazfest

Howdy,

So I'm currently trying to create a water fountain. So far, I've built the rough geo for the fountain, but am struggling with the fluid.

I've used the prebuilt fluid emitter from the particle fluid shelf and am getting a really big, gloopy liquid. Whereas, I'm after a small, fine fluid. With lots of spray, I'm guessing I'll have to add the spray separately as a particle emitter perhaps?

As you can see, I'm fairly clueless at this moment in time, and would really appreciate any help or advice :)

Fingers crossed, and thanks in advance :)

Chaz

p.s. If it's of any use or interest, I've attached my current project file. An advanced warning though, I may well have gone about setting up even the basics in a bizarre manner :rolleyes: I'm still new to this game, and learning with every project.

Fountain.hip

Howdy,

So I'm currently trying to create a water fountain. So far, I've built the rough geo for the fountain, but am struggling with the fluid.

I've used the prebuilt fluid emitter from the particle fluid shelf and am getting a really big, gloopy liquid. Whereas, I'm after a small, fine fluid. With lots of spray, I'm guessing I'll have to add the spray separately as a particle emitter perhaps?

As you can see, I'm fairly clueless at this moment in time, and would really appreciate any help or advice :)

Fingers crossed, and thanks in advance :)

Chaz

p.s. If it's of any use or interest, I've attached my current project file. An advanced warning though, I may well have gone about setting up even the basics in a bizarre manner :rolleyes: I'm still new to this game, and learning with every project.

Try playing with the settings for Speed Stretching and Filtering in the particlefluidsurface1 node of the particle_fluid. It might also help to lower your particle separation on the particlefluidobject1 in your AutoDopNetwork.This will give you a bit more resolution to play with when you start tweaking the Speed Stretching and Filtering. At first Speed Stretching might look kinda strange, but I am guessing the final render will have motion blur, that will help a ton with the look of the final simulation.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!

John, I've started playing around with the speed stretching, filtering and particle separation and am already seeing immediate improvements.

I'll be adding motion blur towards the end, although this is something I've not experimented with yet in Houdini (hopefully easy to implement).

And Marc, thanks for the thread pointer. I've got Peter Quint's tutorials for rendering millions of particles queued up for my lunch break :)

I'm really new to Houdini and still getting my head around the basics, so the fountain's not going to end up photorealistic...not yet anyway :)

Thanks again for the pointers and advice guys, the world of fluid simulation seems an unfathomably complex one, but one that I'm intrigued to delve deeper into all the same.

Well welcome to Houdini and od[force] :). I think you'll find the whole of Houdini unfathomably complex.. but utterly satisfying all at the same time.

There's nothing like a good challenge.

M