Houdini 6.1.128

Wolfwood

I don't know what enhancements are in this build but I just installed it and it seems pretty fast.

This morning I was working on a model with subd level 2 and my computer was just crawling. Now with this new build it's moving right along interactively!

Could be that I'm just tired and everything else just seems faster since i'm running in slow mode.

/Rick

It's running fine for me. Some things...

The edgeloop selection everywhere works fine it seems, you can even walk edges, however, I don't get the direction arrow when walking edges which is a bit annoying.

UV Brush rawks.

UV Pelt rawks as well, except, I don't understand the stiffness and weight attributes... I suppose I'm supposed to add those attributes to my model before I unwrap it or something. Guess I'll give it a go in a bit and see what happens. Other than that, UV Pelt seems to have improved quite a bit, and it was already really good.

Any other cool things in this build that anyone knows about?

The edgeloop selection everywhere works fine it seems, you can even walk edges, however, I don't get the direction arrow when walking edges which is a bit annoying.

I get the direction arrow. I think you're supposed to get it. If you just plop down a simple poly grid, and follow it up with an Edit and pick and edge, you still get no arrow? Weird.

I get the direction arrow. I think you're supposed to get it. If you just plop down a simple poly grid, and follow it up with an Edit and pick and edge, you still get no arrow? Weird.

OK, I do get the arrow if I'm actually performing an operation like edit. I get no arrow if I just hit "s" to preselect geometry, that's the problem.

RickW, once you are in edit mode, or any mode for that matter where you want to select edges, you select one edge, and then hit "l" or "shift+l" to select a loop. I had read the difference between "l" and "shift+l" somewhere but I'm not real clear on what it is. It's something like "l" will try to select a loop all the way around your model ending at the current selected edge, and "shift+l" will select a loop as far as it can go around your model not necessarily ending at the current selection. I'm not sure under which circumstances the two different hotkeys serve a different purpose though. In every case I've used them, they've behaved exactly the same.

Anyhow, the little red arrow is for walking edges, you can hit r to change it's direction, and hit f to start walking the edges. Each time you hit f, the next edge will be added to the current selection.

Hi RickW,

To access the edgeloop functionality, you need to bring up the selector menu (Ctrl-RMB while selecting). Then you'll see the options for edgeloops. I think the default hotkeys are:

'f': step forward

'r': reverse arrow direction

'l' : partial loop (until it hits a previously selected edge)

'L': full loop.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Mcronin and BonoFancy,

It works as expected now. I like it! It would be great if it also did polygon & point loop.

After doing an edgeloop selection, I applied another edit op and turned on the points filter (1) and they were already selected based on my last edgeloop selection, which is expected. However sometimes it's usefult to do a polygon loop.

Reinhard Claus wrote a plugin for XSI that does just that.

http://www.claus-figuren.de/3d/rt/

I don't know if this function is already built into Houdini but I'll start a new thread on SESI fourms if it isn't in Houdini as I'm getting way off topic here.

Thanks!

/Rick

OK, I do get the arrow if I'm actually performing an operation like edit. I get no arrow if I just hit "s" to preselect geometry, that's the problem.

Ah, I had this problem too! So thats whats causing it..

Also, the partial edge loops - it seems more intuitive to me that a partial edgeloop would travel in the direction of the arrow, and not try to travel in the opposite direction too. A full edgeloop should go both directions. Anyone agree?

Thanks Mcronin and BonoFancy,

It works as expected now. I like it! It would be great if it also did polygon & point loop.

After doing an edgeloop selection, I applied another edit op and turned on the points filter (1) and they were already selected based on my last edgeloop selection, which is expected. However sometimes it's usefult to do a polygon loop.

Reinhard Claus wrote a plugin for XSI that does just that.

http://www.claus-figuren.de/3d/rt/

I don't know if this function is already built into Houdini but I'll start a new thread on SESI fourms if it isn't in Houdini as I'm getting way off topic here.

Thanks!

/Rick

Now SESI have opened Pandoras Box! :rolleyes: