Network Rendering on different OS

Hi,

I have 4 machines:

• 3 linux stations
  • 1 macos station

When I render over the network using mantra -H linux1,linux2,linux3 it goes fine, but when I try to add macos station to the render list I get an error, that is can't connect to macos1 station.

Macos station pings, and i see it in the network, but I can't render on it over the network. Looks like MacOs firewall or something else blocks connection from other hosts.

Is there anybody here, who has experience to render over the network on OSX stations? I am linux user, and maybe I just don't know where I need to disable something to solve the problem.

• 5 months later...

IT's disabled ((

I' m having the same kind of issue. The file is loaded on the main computer (windows) using a unc pth like //server/prject/file.hip.

I tried on two windows computers and two Osx machines. Firewall is disabled on the Macs, but it only renders on the windows computers.

Here is the error I get from mantra

mantra: Network Error[OsxMachine] Unable to initiate communications for 30 seconds.
Perhaps this host is running the incorrect version of mantra?

I have the same version of Houdini installed everywhere by the way.

Edited by br1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I' m coming back with some feedback. After some hassle and thanks to the support from sidefx I' m now able to render on the network with Windows, Osx and Linux(Ubuntu) all working on the same picture.

you' ll need to go through a few steps to get that working.

-Ports, be sure that if you have a firewall (and you probably should), tcp ports 1714 and 1715 are opened.

-hosts file. That one is actually quite important, adding the correct computers with ip and computer names made it much easier for me, both to get a license from the server and dispatch bucket to the render slaves. So be sure to edit that file correctly on all your computers and OSes as it is what, in the end, made a difference for me between a computer rendering and a computer reporting errors and unable to render.

-UNC paths is important for windows and I came to the conclusion that you should try to get a similar path on your Osx computer. I still have to spend some time on the Ubuntu machine I just installed to figure out what has to be done so that it can be a good slave to the Windows7 'master'. As I could only mount folder shares with Osx (I' m a still a little bit confused with non-windows OSes when it coumes to Volumes, Drives, Mounts..) I ended up creating a folder with my windows computers' s name and symbolic links so that the Osx computer path looks similar to the windows path. It' s probably not the best solution, but it works.

Ciao

bruno

• Like 1