Rendering Pyro

pryer

Hello there!

I am currently at a stage of rendering my pyro simulations and I am getting lots of flickering! I used a 1024 depth map shadow and its already taking so long. I am on Ubuntu with 4 gbs of ram.. and my renders always crash the first time at an unknown varied frame so I have to sit beside my computer to keep watch.

Can someone give me any tips on rendering smoke using the pyro shader???

I know I'm not answering the question here but: have you tried using the "basic Smoke" shader ?

Hello there!

I am currently at a stage of rendering my pyro simulations and I am getting lots of flickering! I used a 1024 depth map shadow and its already taking so long. I am on Ubuntu with 4 gbs of ram.. and my renders always crash the first time at an unknown varied frame so I have to sit beside my computer to keep watch.

Can someone give me any tips on rendering smoke using the pyro shader???

Edited by bunker

Are you sure the flickering is from the shadow map and not from the noise in the shader? If the issue is from the shadow maps try a lower resolution map with a little blur (like .01).

I haven't tried the basic smoke shader yet... I was following the tutorial on cmiVFX on creating smoke and dust effect.

Could you explain further on how lowering the resolution of the depth map will produce less flicking? I don't really understand..

use billow smoke shader , easier to debug . If your not familiar with the pyro shader , it can be a bit overwhelming ;) . If your going to use shader noise, make sure your rest field in the sim is set to a long enough reset rate that your render wont pop, as the billow smoke isn't set up for dual rest fields.

Ive never seen significant shadow map flickering , even with 512 maps. Veiw through light to make sure your not wasting any shadowmap space..

peace

jj