Anybody running Houdini 11 on Ubuntu using ATI card?

hi!

I am using ATI card (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650) with proprietary drivers (Catalyst). Houdini is version 11 build 733 apprentice and Ubuntu 10.10

I am able to run Geometry viewer and Image Viewer.

When I try to run Houdini using the default drivers of the ATI card that ship with ubuntu, I get the following terminal error AFTER THE SPLASH SCREEN:

XXX:~$ radeonSetSpanFunctions: bad format: 0x0002
radeonSetSpanFunctions: bad format: 0x0002
(sent by pid 0)r: Segmentation Fault
Saving application data to /tmp/xxx.5303.hip
Crash log saved to /tmp/crashlog_xxx
houdini-bin: radeon_texture.c:94: radeonFreeTexImageData: Assertion `!image->base.Data' failed.
Error: The core dump handler was called recursively.

Crash Log:

Crash report from xxx; Houdini Master Version 11.0.504 [linux-i686-gcc4.4]
Traceback from Mon Oct 18 18:45:31 2010
Caught signal 11
createCrashLog(UTsignalHandlerArg, char const*) (AP_Interface.C:0)
AP_Interface::coredumpHandler(UTsignalHandlerArg) (??:0)
UT_Signal::processSignal(int, siginfo*, void*) (??:0)

The licenser server is running fine and I can see the splash screen.

Then, I switched to the proprietary ATI catalyst drivers and tried to run houdini.

The splash screen appears and then it disappears after 5 seconds and nothing happens. No errors no warnings. Other people also are having the same problem.

Anybody else had success running H11 on Ubuntu 10.10 or Linux on ATI card with catalyst?

Thanks.

I think I used to run it on Ubuntu with ATi Mobility something using the "radeonhd" driver... it's been a while and that laptop is now a dusty relic in the corner of my room.

And this was Houdini 9 -- I think Houdini 11 has higher requirements now... so it probably won't work for me again.

You either need a catalyst driver <= 10.9, or one >= 11.1. There were a few versions of the driver that did not work with Houdini.

I am using catalyst version 8.78.3-100920a-105558C-ATI

This is the one Ubuntu recommends in its Addition Drivers page

I have even tried to turn compiz off. same issue. Same problem in version 11.04 of ubuntu.

If anybody manages to run Houdini Apprentice on Ubuntu 10+ using Catalyst, please post here. I use Linux as my main OS. This is the only thing not working.

Houdini worked after installing catalyst version 11.5.

Follow the instruction here on how to do so:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI#Install%20the%20fglrx%20Driver%20from%20AMD/ATI%20Catalyst%2011.2%20For%20Ubuntu%2010.10%20Maverick

But now the HD videos are tearing...but thats an ooold story for another day. EDIT: Catalyst 11.5 has a new tear free display option...FINALLY!

Edited by framebuffer